Getting rid of a wasp nest without killing them... How?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Getting rid of a wasp nest without killing them... How?

Postby James the Giant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 am

At my meditation centre there's a wasp nest very close by the path to the meditation hall.
There are about 6 or 7 wasps leaving or entering per second at the moment, but next year it will be bigger, and the year after that bigger still... etc etc.
How do we get rid of the nest without breaking the precepts? A friend of the centre mentioned putting a water hose in it at night, and slowly flooding the nest with a trickle of water, allowing them time to escape.

Are there any other non-lethal solutions that will encourage them to leave the nest?
It's in the middle of a flammable grassy and wooded area, so smoke from a small fire isn't an option.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Re: Getting rid of a wasp nest without killing them... How?

Postby BlackBird » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:32 am

Hi Jamie

I don't have any ideas or solutions. Meditation and wasp nests, best of luck on both accounts. To me life seems like a stream of intermittent difficult situations and I think sometimes all we can do is laugh at it's underlying irony.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby altar » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:38 am

Honey farmers sometimes use smokers in order to smoke the bees out. The bees evacuate like humans during a fire when they sense smoke. However I believe some bees remain, and I don't know if it would work with wasps. You will have to find someone more knowledgeable. Also I'm not sure where the wasps will go once their home is destroyed... Though I think they might be able to try and join another colony, good luck to them doing so if that's what happens.
altar

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:38 am

Greetings James,

Brer Rabbit knocked a wasp nest into a sack once.

By and by, Brer Fox got quite a shock.

Full instructions found in...

:tongue:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 am

James the Giant wrote:At my meditation centre there's a wasp nest very close by the path to the meditation hall.
There are about 6 or 7 wasps leaving or entering per second at the moment, but next year it will be bigger, and the year after that bigger still... etc etc.
How do we get rid of the nest without breaking the precepts? A friend of the centre mentioned putting a water hose in it at night, and slowly flooding the nest with a trickle of water, allowing them time to escape.

Are there any other non-lethal solutions that will encourage them to leave the nest?
It's in the middle of a flammable grassy and wooded area, so smoke from a small fire isn't an option.

Wait till winter, then cut it down and move it far, far away, but they will likely come back. Or get a bee keeper's suit and smoke thingie, smoke the nest at first light before they are active. (Do not shine a strong flashlight on the nest.) Cut it down put it in a sealed box and drive it far, far away.

Keep in mind that there are people who are allergic to the sting and that a single wasp can, unlike bees, sting multiple times. A full attack from a nest can be deadly to such people and serious even if one is not allergic.

The water business might help, but it likely would not drive them away. They would likely re- establish the nest in the same area.

I have had to deal with wasp nests on my house and garage over the 10 years that I have lived here. How did I deal with them? I followed Katagiri Roshi's advice:

Katagiri, Roshi's first center in St Paul, MN was is funky part of town and there was a problem with cockroaches wandering around the meditation hall during meditation sessions (not to mention the kitchen), causing some degree of consternation. The students in charge of running the center (an old house) puzzled over what to do and could not come to an answer. They went to Katagiri, and asked them how to deal with the cockroaches without violating the precepts. He looked at them for a little bit and then said, "I'm not going to tell you."
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 am

This is not an endorsement. I have no idea if these work.
Ultrasonic repellent:
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp ... ProdID=249

Just in case you have totally lost all compassion for your breakfeast you can also buy this:

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp ... ProdID=389
There is no comfort without pain; thus
we define salvation through suffering.
-- Cato
m0rl0ck

Postby chownah » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:54 pm

In Thailand having wasp or bees nests on/in your house is good luck....so every year we have mud wasps who build their nests in our bathroom....they busily fly in and out the window carrying mud for their home and sometimes even collide with me but they always apologize and fly on about their business....never been stung. I do understand that for some a sting would be deadly so perhaps a public place would be better off without them....maybe a warning sign would be appropriate and adequate...removing ALL insect nests from EVERY place that humans might go would probably be doing the planet and its inhabitants a disservice.

To remove the nest:

You can almost assuredly walk very close to the nest without being stung...so get a long rope (thin one need not be too strong) or stout cord and somehow get a loop around the nest or around the vegetation that the nest is built on if the vegetation is not too woody and tough. Once the loop is around the nest or its support vegetation you stand at the distant end of the stretched out rope and when you have removed all slack in the rope give it a fast and hard tug....really fast and really hard. The result is that the nest will be instantly uprooted and whiplashed away from its original site to some unknown place far away from its initial location. This will be so fast and so far that the wasps will not even know in which direction or where it has gone....they will make a nest somewhere else perhaps not too far away from their original nest so the process may have to be repreated. One thing, though, is that there will be some larvae in the nest almost assuredly and they will die so perhaps this method doesn't completely avoid the kamma issue presented here.....in Thailand, depending on the kind of wasp or bee, we eat the larvae....you might try putting the nest immediately back in the vicinity of where it was originally and see if the wasps re-inhabit it (I'm pretty sure they would as they are pretty attached to it)...and if you already have it on the outside of a box or something then maybe you could move it to wherever you want after they re-inhabit.

chownah
chownah

Postby Nibbida » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:14 pm

I saw this on MTV once. I'm not kidding. Cold makes insects go dormant, so someone put ice in a plastic container with a lid and captured a bee in there. The bee went to sleep. while sleeping, he tied a thread around it's waist. In a few minutes it woke up and he had a bee on a leash. I tried this. It worked. The problem is that the leash does not prevent the bee from coming back at you. The bee wiggles out of the thread in a few minutes anyway.

Skip the leash part, but capturing them in a container with ice may be a viable option.

On second thought, go with Tilt's beekeeper/smoker/sealed box plan. But you have to admit that the bee on a leash concept is briefly amusing.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Postby Annapurna » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:01 pm

In my opinion, I would seek professional advice.

They know how to remove a nest with the least possible danger for humans and should also know how to save the wasps.

Remember, some insects are protected by law, because they are threatened by extinction, and if they pose a danger to humans, solutions must be found as well that help both the customer and keep the laws.

I wouldn't flood a nest with water, because that would kill the young, helpless ones that still get fed. And the eggs. :(

With metta,

Annapurna
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Mukunda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:09 pm

If the wasps aren't disturbed, they won't sting. They tend to be pretty peaceful little guys that can help keep other insect nuisances in check when left to their own devices. Besides, what better way to remind oneself to be mindful of their surroundings than the possibility of a sting. :smile:
Mukunda

Postby PeterB » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 pm

I can tell you that my family and myself co existed peacefully with a wasps nest for several years. They eventually just went or died out naturally.
PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Agree. We've had wasps and even hornets too.

We didn't even know they were under our 'roof', just that they were peaceful...perhaps it is in their own best interest not to arouse too much attention while breeding, so they won't come on too strong.

They can become a nuisance, when they are done with breeding in fall and want to eat from your plum cake and drink from your lemonade.

So, make a little plate for them, and tell them it's all theirs...

:popcorn:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

James the Giant wrote:At my meditation centre there's a wasp nest very close by the path to the meditation hall.
There also may be legal liability for not removing the nest and someone is hurt by the little buggers residing therein.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Aloka » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:48 pm

I've had wasps nests in my loft for years and I just leave them there undisturbed.

Once quite a lot of them got into the house throught the edge of the loft flap - and I had to catch them individually in jars and then put them outside which took a long time.I suppose they returned to the loft through the roof but I fixed the edge of the flap so that they could't get into the main part of the house again.

I've never been stung by a wasp in my life - so I'm not afraid of being stung.
Aloka

Postby Mukunda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Aloka wrote:I've never been stung by a wasp in my life - so I'm not afraid of being stung.

I have been stung and am still not afraid of them. Interestingly enough, the last time I was stung, it seemed as if the wasp stung just hard enough to get my attention. The pain was only momentary and very little venom was injected. Seeing as how it could have stung painfully me multiple times, I was very grateful to have stumbled across a wasp apparently dedicated to ahimsa, or at least willing to give me a second chance. :smile:
Mukunda

Postby Ben » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:09 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
There also may be legal liability for not removing the nest and someone is hurt by the little buggers residing therein.

Tilt raises a very important point here. There is a legal liability issue of someone, not the owner, coming onto the property and getting injured or killed. Many personal liability insurance covers are voided if reasonable steps have not been taken to mitigate risks to visitors. I would have to agree with Anna - get professional advice to get the wasps removed.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:27 pm

Hello James, all,

What do the rest of the yogis at the Meditation Hall think? If it is a Buddhist meditation group you may find someone already has a non-harming solution, and views about non-killing.

A couple of possible answers in this thread:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 702AA9z8nu

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Bankei » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:47 pm

I was walking past a wasp nest about a year ago and was attacked around the ankles on both feet - they seem to be able to repeatedly sting, unlike bees. This has left scaring, like little bumps in the skin which won't go away.

You could probably dislodge the next by using a high powered hose from a distance. Just keep on hosing it until it is out of the way and then they probably won't bother you.
-----------------------
Bankei
Bankei

Postby Wind » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:07 am

I once had small wasp nest the size of a strawberry in my backward with only one wasp that lives in it. I find it strange that there would be a solitary wasp. I always thought they live in a colony. But perhaps there is a sad story how this wasp ended up alone.
Wind

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:40 am

Wind wrote:I once had small wasp nest the size of a strawberry in my backward with only one wasp that lives in it. I find it strange that there would be a solitary wasp. I always thought they live in a colony. But perhaps there is a sad story how this wasp ended up alone.

http://www.earthlife.net/insects/solwasps.html
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Next

Return to Lounge