Getting rid of a wasp nest without killing them... How?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Aloka

Re: Getting rid of a wasp nest without killing them... How?

Post by Aloka »

Lama Chime' was very, very nice to me.

Chime Rinpoche is a very sweet man.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

PeterB wrote:At the time Aloka he was still in the robe and didnt do either drugs or alcohol.
This was a few years before he went to the US. He was a clean cut kid, straight from graduating from Oxford.

That changed in the time when he gave up the robes before he went to the US.

and back to topic - generally, killing even the smallest insect is avoided by Tibetans.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:
Lama Chime' was very, very nice to me.

Chime Rinpoche is a very sweet man.
He was and being still alive, I hope, still is, I am sure, and he has had no trouble with wasps, hornets or other pests of which I am aware.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

May all be free from problems with wasps, hornets and other pests both seen and unseen !

_/\_
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Aloka wrote:
PeterB wrote:At the time Aloka he was still in the robe and didnt do either drugs or alcohol.
This was a few years before he went to the US. He was a clean cut kid, straight from graduating from Oxford.

That changed in the time when he gave up the robes before he went to the US.

and back to topic - generally, killing even the smallest insect is avoided by Tibetans.
Which is why he was unhappy..and he had a deadline from the council who were coming back to investigate..
Magic didnt work, and he was not the only lama involved, Chime was involved too, he was at Samye Ling recuperating after recovering from TB, so the rats didnt stay I would suggest, because they somehow knew that a few years down the road Trungpa would open a bottle.......
I am not taking sides.. I am saying what happened.
Last edited by PeterB on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I am not taking sides.. I am saying what happened.

Sure, my friend, I wasn't thinking in terms of 'sides'. It was a long time ago, and my main interest is in Theravada now anyway.

Oh, is that a wasp I see at the window ?

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Attachments
wasp.jpg
wasp.jpg (6.86 KiB) Viewed 1997 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've always been fascinated by wasps... in particular how narrow they are in the centre of their body, like an insect of two halves.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

They are as beautifully "designed " a Lotus Elan.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Wasps are real horror story creatures. Years and years ago there was a big black mud dauber wasp at my uncles lake place. He killed it, being a big scarey bug. Being a curious little kid, I knocked down the nest and broke it open. Each cell was stuffed full of slow moving spiders, which was creepy in and of itself, but years later when I learned that those living spiders, poisoned by the wasp were a living lunch for the wasp larvae, I was really creeped out, bringing to mind the movie Alien, and thanking Jayzus I was not a spider.
Attachments
wasplunch.jpg
wasplunch.jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Ah yes nature...
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:But let us not forget the thousands of lavrae that will killed.
Without wanting to stir the hornet's nest...

:rofl:

... do larvae count as sentient beings?

Extract from SN 23.2: Satta Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi at Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. Then Ven. Radha went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "'A being,' lord. 'A being,' it's said. To what extent is one said to be 'a being'?"

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for feeling... perception... fabrications...

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'
(For comparative purposes...) Someone can look under a microscope and see sperm moving for example, but does that make them sentient beings?

Metta,
Is a human baby a sentient being? A larva is nothing but an immature wasp, as an infant is an immature human.
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

tiltbillings wrote:Wasps are real horror story creatures. Years and years ago there was a big black mud dauber wasp at my uncles lake place. He killed it, being a big scarey bug. Being a curious little kid, I knocked down the nest and broke it open. Each cell was stuffed full of slow moving spiders, which was creepy in and of itself, but years later when I learned that those living spiders, poisoned by the wasp were a living lunch for the wasp larvae, I was really creeped out, bringing to mind the movie Alien, and thanking Jayzus I was not a spider.
I imagine flies count wasps among their heroes. :woohoo:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
tiltbillings wrote:But let us not forget the thousands of lavrae that will killed.
Without wanting to stir the hornet's nest...

:rofl:

Extract from SN 23.2: Satta Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi at Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. Then Ven. Radha went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "'A being,' lord. 'A being,' it's said. To what extent is one said to be 'a being'?"

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for form, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for feeling... perception... fabrications...

"Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for consciousness, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'
(For comparative purposes...) Someone can look under a microscope and see sperm moving for example, but does that make them sentient beings?

Metta,
Yep.

Larvae have already crawled out of an egg, remember?
As long as the egg cell and the spermies haven't met yet, they will perish quickly, if they don't meet. They're senteitn only after meeting and becoming one, that starts to grow.

So a larva is a sentient being, and killing it is not a good idea.

Monks won't eat fertilized eggs, right?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

tiltbillings wrote:Wasps are real horror story creatures. Years and years ago there was a big black mud dauber wasp at my uncles lake place. He killed it, being a big scarey bug. Being a curious little kid, I knocked down the nest and broke it open. Each cell was stuffed full of slow moving spiders, which was creepy in and of itself, but years later when I learned that those living spiders, poisoned by the wasp were a living lunch for the wasp larvae, I was really creeped out, bringing to mind the movie Alien, and thanking Jayzus I was not a spider.
Eek.

But reminds me of our cow stables.