A Letter about Crisis of the Earth between You and Me

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
BuddhaStudent

Re: A Letter about Crisis of the Earth between You and Me

Post by BuddhaStudent »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings BuddhaStudent,

To help you understand these responses a little, Theravada Buddhism is based primarily on the Tipitaka. In the Tipitaka, the subject of prayer and wishing in general is as explained by Tiltbillings... it is not through prayer that things are achieved, especially not global peace.

However, if people develop loving-kindness and compassion, then they become more peaceful individuals and better world citizens. They cause less suffering to others and help make the world a better place. If you wish to encourage Theravada Buddhists to make the world a better place, the way is not through encouraging supplication to Buddhas, bodhisattvas, Dhamma protectors or deities. Rather, it is through the cultivation of the brahma-viharas (divine abidings) - namely, metta (lovingkindness), karuna (compassion), upekkha (equanimity) and mudita (appreciative/sympathetic joy)... as well as encouraging good deeds, adherence to precepts, and opportunities for making merit.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Oh, I see. Thank you for your kindness in indicating the difference between us, and various ways to embody Buddha's spirits. I think maybe it's Bodisattva giving me an opportunity to know other people better, and to more deeply understand the precious variety of the world. Thank you very much. Anyway, I do think we have something in common, that is, we all want the world and living creatures happy and peaceful, no matter how we achieve it. The cultivation of the brahma-viharas (divine abidings), metta (lovingkindness), karuna (compassion), upekkha (equanimity) and mudita (appreciative/sympathetic joy) are all great human virtues. These all will help Bodisattva in collecting goodness for saving the global warming of the earth.