How to live a Simple Life

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

How to live a Simple Life

Postby Stuart » Wed May 12, 2010 6:51 am

:anjali:
For UK TV users .... I've just got an email from The Buddhist Society in London saying:

There is a programme this Friday 14th May on BBC2 at 9pm called 'How to live a Simple Life' which contains footage from Chithurst Monastery.

.... pass-it-on .... :)

Stuart
xxx
Stuart

Re: How to live a Simple Life

Postby Ben » Wed May 12, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks Stuart!

Having travelled the globe exploring the world’s religions in Around The World In 80 Faiths, part-time hippy and vicar Peter Owen Jones is back home in beautiful, rural Sussex and still not satisfied.

Life’s too complicated, he moans. We’re all caught up with wanting that little thing called “more” and it makes us slaves to money. Even he, a man of God, confesses to being addicted to the green stuff.

Crikey. If the vicar feels like this, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Many would just weep helplessly into their overdrafts. But Owen Jones decides to go cold turkey and give up money entirely. Just like 13th Century St Francis of Assisi. Sort of.

Luckily, his parishioners are an obliging lot. They invite him for lunch, buy him beer… even petrol.

Interesting idea. But how far would he have got if he wasn’t a celebrity TV vicar?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertainmen ... -22239314/

When I was living in Ballarat I became friendly with an older gentleman who owned a local cafe. I used to go in to his establishment for lunch on a very regular basis. We got friendly and I knew he was very spiritually inclined - going off to the local Anglican-Catholic monastery for weekend retreats. Besides an interest in spirituality, we had another shared interest in endurance cycling, having been members of the same club - but at different times. Then one day I went into his cafe and he told me the news that he had decided to sell it and take up an invitation to be the priest of a small congregation in rural Colorado. My jaw dropped. He then told me that he was leaving everything behind and adopting the principles of Francis of Assisi. For awhile we communicated after he was installed and sent me copies of his sermons which were incredibly inspiring.
I'll look out for "How to live a Simple Life" should it ever be screened down here.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Wed May 12, 2010 10:00 am

Stuart wrote::anjali:
For UK TV users .... I've just got an email from The Buddhist Society in London saying:

There is a programme this Friday 14th May on BBC2 at 9pm called 'How to live a Simple Life' which contains footage from Chithurst Monastery.

.... pass-it-on .... :)

Stuart
xxx

Thanks Stuart. I will look out for that. I havent been there in person for a wee while.

:anjali:
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Wed May 12, 2010 10:12 am

I have just noticed that it features Peter Owen Jones..he is a cracking good bloke.
PeterB

Postby dennis60 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 am

The monastery has a web site.... http://www.cittaviveka.org/

There is a link at their web site to free dhamma talks in mp3 format at....http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/
dennis60

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat May 15, 2010 11:33 am

On BBC iPlayer. Just a few minutes at Chithurst near the middle of the video @ 27 mins
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Cittasanto » Sat May 15, 2010 11:59 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:On BBC iPlayer. Just a few minutes at Chithurst near the middle of the video @ 27 mins

I have to admit I enjoy his programs
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to Lounge