What are you doing for Vesakha Puja/Visakha Bucha/Wesak?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

What are you doing for Vesakha Puja/Visakha Bucha/Wesak?

Postby sukhamanveti » Thu May 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi, everyone.

As most of you know, many Theravada Buddhists will honor the birth, enlightenment, and parinibbana of the Buddha this month. Vesakha Puja (Pali) is a time of giving, good deeds, setting animals free, pilgrimage/procession/circumnambulation with candles, special precepts, listening to Dhamma, chanting the good qualities of the Three Jewels, etc.

What do you think is a meaningful way to honor the Buddha for Vesakha Puja? Does your wat or your family have its own unique traditions for this time of year? For those individuals who intend to do something special in remembrance of the Buddha: what are you planning to do?

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to share.
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
sukhamanveti

Re: What are you doing for Vesakha Puja/Visakha Bucha/Wesak?

Postby Sanghamitta » Thu May 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Our Wat has a big Puja with lots of flowers, and people bring a large Dana meal enough for everyone. Its good fun.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
Sanghamitta

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 pm

As I do not know where my nearest temple is(I am new to england)and I will be expected to work,I will just try to live and work with integrity whilst taking 8 precepts for the day.
This means I will not be on-line that day.
I hope you all have a great Wesak no matter where and how you you will celebrate it.
Metta,
Greg :sage:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 pm

spending it at Amaravati and roughly three months later I will leave to go somewhere else.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby retrofuturist » Fri May 14, 2010 12:04 am

Greetings,

It'll just be the standard Eight Precepts for me.

Such is life in a non Theravada family, in a non Theravada area.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri May 14, 2010 1:38 am

My wife and kids are Theravada but (understandably) don't like to go to the traditional Sri Lankan service at the local vihara. It is almost 100 percent in Sinhalese and lots of chanting and ceremonies.

So we usually just do the 8 precepts at home, except for sometimes getting a cake to celebrate. We do that so it will be more of a festive occasion (for them), something that they can enjoy, rather than long ceremonies.

At North Hollywood this Saturday, Bhante Punnaji will be one of the monks leading an English language program which I would have really liked to attend, but unfortunately we will be traveling that day.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri May 14, 2010 2:58 am

On Sunday I've organised a one-day silent vipassana meditation 'course' for my co-practitioners. It will be a very small gathering, with two assistant teachers I think we have six people in total. Small, but intense.
While not quite on the Visakha, I think its close enough and I think a benefical way to pay homage to our great teacher.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Dan74 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 am

We (the gang and I) will go to Federation Square for some ceremonies and celebration. I don't tend to go for these things because I find them tedious and for the last 6 years we've gone to my teacher's centre for Buddha's Birthday. But unfortunately this year due to poor health and other commitments she is not putting it on there. It's always been a lot of fun, because the property is adjacent to a National Park, there was lantern-making for the kids, lots of yummie food and a good dharma talk with a ceremony and chanting. Typically 30-50 people would come and it was still personal and real.
_/|\_
Dan74

Return to Lounge