Do you (still) visit any Non -Buddhist forae?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Do you (still) visit any Non -Buddhist forae?

Postby Annapurna » Wed May 19, 2010 8:28 am

I'm asking, because I am only in one Non-Buddhist forum, and I can't handle it too well anymore.

I don't enjoy myself anymore, a few new members have changed the tone.

I see wrong speech, intolerance with other views, ad hominems, ridiculing and buylling members has become a nearly daily routine, and the mods don't see a need to interfere, even though the rules are clearly broken and some attacked members have meanwhile left the forum.

Talking to the mods hasn't been successful either, they are very authoritarian, a bit like corrupt Sheriffs, you see? What can you do with a Mod who hasn't even heard "ad hominem attack" before?

So, now I am leaving as well...

Which experience do you have with Non -Buddhist forae and are you still frequenting any?

Metta,

Anna

O
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Re: Do you (still) visit any Non -Buddhist forae?

Postby Wind » Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am

I still visit sport forums to talk about my favorite teams or athletes. It's true that people seems to enjoy bad speech and divisive speech and plenty of obsession with sensual pleasures. Often times I can't bare it so I would leave and come here.
Wind

Postby Pannapetar » Wed May 19, 2010 8:48 am

Yes, plenty. I am running my own forum which has a more general philosophical orientation. Then I am visiting a number of software engineer communities. I've also had a look at an atheist forum (Dawkins), science and psychology forums, and Thailand expatriate forums. Not all at the same time, though. :smile:

Cheers, Thomas
Pannapetar

Postby PeterB » Wed May 19, 2010 9:08 am

Annapurna wrote:I'm asking, because I am only in one Non-Buddhist forum, and I can't handle it too well anymore.

I see wrong speech, intolerance with other views, ad hominems, ridiculing and buylling members has become a nearly daily routine, and the mods don't see a need to interfere, even though the rules are clearly broken and some attacked members have meanwhile left the forum.

Talking to the mods hasn't been successful either, they are very authoritarian, a bit like corrupt Sheriffs, you see? What can you do with a Mod who hasn't even heard "ad hominem attack" before?

Which experience do you have with Non -Buddhist forae and are you still frequenting any?

Metta,

Anna

O

Not any more Anna. Not as a poster, although I still drop in as a " read only " activity.
The other forum I used to frequent has an increasingly tenuous relationship to anything that i would recognise as Buddhism.
PeterB

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 am

Hmmm, a few. I'm an alpha tester for a mobile browser called Skyfire so I use that forum. I also enjoy a bit of Yahoo! Answers from time to time, but mostly now just to promote my music (link in signature, bwah ha ha).

I used to be VERY active in a Christian forum but I recieved a lifetime non-negotiable ban for saying 'third eye meditation' isn't something I've encountered in the suttas so far. I was correcting something another user had said, apparantly in that forum (which I'd been using for about 10 years) ignorance is bliss.
Mawkish1983

Postby PeterB » Wed May 19, 2010 10:01 am

PeterB wrote:
Annapurna wrote:I'm asking, because I am only in one Non-Buddhist forum, and I can't handle it too well anymore.

By now you will have realised that I misread the question as " any other Buddhist forae "... :embarassed:
Metta,

Anna

O

Not any more Anna. Not as a poster, although I still drop in as a " read only " activity.
The other forum I used to frequent has an increasingly tenuous relationship to anything that i would recognise as Buddhism.

By now you will have realised that I misread the question as " any other Buddhist forae ".. :rolleye:
PeterB

Postby Kim OHara » Wed May 19, 2010 10:27 am

I have visited a few but rarely wanted to hang around. As you say, a lot of unpleasant behaviour on most of them. Some of the classical music discussion groups are pretty civilised, though, and I participate on a few blogs by commenting, etc.
:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Annapurna » Wed May 19, 2010 10:35 am

Guys, I just got banned in that forum.....!

What occurred was this:

I sent a mod a PM, and -politely-following right speech- asked them to take a look at a few posts and to please delete them since they are ad hominem attacks.

The mods replied, the members can and should defend themselves...

So....then I thought ok. If I'm authorized to...and sent one of the bullies the guidelines. That was all.

This PM was sent to the mods, which in return sent me a first warning, because I "moderated".

I then sent back: " I did ask you Mods to interfere here, but you refused to and said we should do it ourselves.
And then we did exactly that. In the only possible way, by referring to the guidelines which YOU guys wrote, but don't reinforce. "

After that I got banned.

:rofl:
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed May 19, 2010 10:40 am

PeterB wrote:
PeterB wrote:

By now you will have realised that I misread the question as " any other Buddhist forae "... :embarassed:
Metta,

Anna

O

By now you will have realised that I misread the question as " any other Buddhist forae ".. :rolleye:

Only now that you say it . But I noticed you don't post there anymore. No Haikus anymore. :(

Should we here...?
Annapurna

Postby PeterB » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 am

Theravadin haikus...theres a thought.
PeterB

Postby Annapurna » Wed May 19, 2010 11:57 am

You start?
Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed May 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I received a few nice PMs from members of that forum who were both shocked that I got banned and HOW and who thanked me for my contributions and wish to keep the contact and learn more about me.

Ha!

Felt good. :smile:

E-G-O. :tongue:
Annapurna

Postby Ben » Wed May 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Anna
Sorry to hear of your banning.
It brings back memories.

As for my involvement in other extra-Dhamma Wheel activities...
Very occassionally I leave comments attached to stories on a Melbourne broadsheet newspaper. I don't hang around to get involved in the back-and-forth banter and bs between regulars.
I've got memberships to other forums but I rarely go back to check them out - let alone post.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Vardali » Wed May 19, 2010 6:24 pm

Sorry about the forum ban and unpleasantness there :(

I do frequent a small, privately run cat forum where most of the people are friendly and supportive and mostly have met each other irl, so it's a very nice little forum (around 50 members, you only get to join by personal invitation).

However, I also take part in a fan forum for my favourite TV series (and the only thing I actually still watch and have done so since the 80s) - this is turning into a flamefest at times but I like it because part of the show is to speculate about certain twists and angles ;) . But I keep away from the personal feuds and just focus on the content driven part.

But yes, big online communities tend to develop pretty quickly into flamefests and bullying when not carefully moderated. I don't really join unmoderated forums, though, I have to say.
Vardali

Postby Annapurna » Wed May 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks, Ben and Vardali.

I don't regret speaking my mind over there, and if standing up for mobbed people will cause me to get banned, it's the wrong forum anyhow. I knew it too.

It's over. No more wasting my time over there.

Here, I can progress in Buddhism and that is of value. I'm fortunate to have found the Dhamma. :smile:

:anjali:
Annapurna

Postby SDC » Wed May 19, 2010 7:45 pm

I still visit, but barely post anymore in a skiing forum. That place is rowdy. For the most part self moderated, so you can imagine that it gets pretty nasty. The members get on the mods when they get too hands on. Its hard to be an "active" participant over there, despite the great skiing info, pictures and video. The attitudes are very raw. I don't mind that so much because that is the nature of the place and it was like that when I signed up, but I just don't get involved in the nonsense.

I understand what you are saying, Anna, but it seems to be something you needed to take a few steps away from anyway. You were trying to do something honest to keep a place calm and civilized, but they didn't seem to want your advice.

That seems to come with the territory for people that practice Buddhism and other disciplined ways of life - most of the world doesn't want to hear it because it causes them to reflect on the possible shortcomings of their own way of living. Most people aren't prepared to handle that - they just get angry and want to fight against it. It is just difficult to see when that is going to be the reaction.

Some situations are very difficult to engage in which there are good results for all parties involved. If we can't see the proper way to approach it, it may be best to step back. Unless of course we would be the only ones to get the bad end of it and all others would benefit...perhaps that would be the correct action take. But that is another topic. :smile:
SDC

Postby EricJ » Thu May 20, 2010 1:01 am

I visit a forum for INTJs. My behavior in that forum is comparable to my behavior in this one; meaning I peruse more than I post.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
EricJ

Postby Monkey Mind » Thu May 20, 2010 2:53 am

I had never been on a forum before E-Sangha. Considering how much time I spend reading posts here and 2 other Buddhist forae, I couldn't imagine being on any other type of forum. I have a facebook account, but I update my status less than once a month and I rarely read the updates.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby Annapurna » Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 am

SDC wrote:I still visit, but barely post anymore in a skiing forum. That place is rowdy. For the most part self moderated, so you can imagine that it gets pretty nasty. The members get on the mods when they get too hands on. Its hard to be an "active" participant over there, despite the great skiing info, pictures and video. The attitudes are very raw. I don't mind that so much because that is the nature of the place and it was like that when I signed up, but I just don't get involved in the nonsense.

I understand what you are saying, Anna, but it seems to be something you needed to take a few steps away from anyway. You were trying to do something honest to keep a place calm and civilized, but they didn't seem to want your advice.

That seems to come with the territory for people that practice Buddhism and other disciplined ways of life - most of the world doesn't want to hear it because it causes them to reflect on the possible shortcomings of their own way of living. Most people aren't prepared to handle that - they just get angry and want to fight against it. It is just difficult to see when that is going to be the reaction.

Some situations are very difficult to engage in which there are good results for all parties involved. If we can't see the proper way to approach it, it may be best to step back.
Unless of course we would be the only ones to get the bad end of it and all others would benefit...perhaps that would be the correct action take. But that is another topic. :smile:

:goodpost:
Annapurna

Postby SDC » Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Annapurna wrote:
SDC wrote:I still visit, but barely post anymore in a skiing forum. That place is rowdy. For the most part self moderated, so you can imagine that it gets pretty nasty. The members get on the mods when they get too hands on. Its hard to be an "active" participant over there, despite the great skiing info, pictures and video. The attitudes are very raw. I don't mind that so much because that is the nature of the place and it was like that when I signed up, but I just don't get involved in the nonsense.

Some situations are very difficult to engage in which there are good results for all parties involved. If we can't see the proper way to approach it, it may be best to step back.
Unless of course we would be the only ones to get the bad end of it and all others would benefit...perhaps that would be the correct action take. But that is another topic. :smile:

:goodpost:

Thank you. :smile:
SDC

Next

Return to Lounge