Carl Sagan

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Laurens

Carl Sagan

Post by Laurens »

This video brings tears to my eyes, his words are so profound. The most adequate description of how hearing these words makes me feel is by saying I think that it conjures up the kind of feeling you are supposed to get when you go to church.

Carl Sagan was a great man, his message to humanity was one of peace and tolerance, always expressed in the most elegant of ways. So what do you guys think of him, check out his book and his series 'Cosmos' if you haven't heard of him before - if you are anything like me you will love it. So discuss the late Carl Sagan... Go!

"The choice is with us still, but the civilization now in jeopardy is all humanity. As the ancient myth makers knew, we are children equally of the earth and the sky. In our tenure of this planet we've accumulated dangerous evolutionary baggage — propensities for aggression and ritual, submission to leaders, hostility to outsiders — all of which puts our survival in some doubt. But we've also acquired compassion for others, love for our children and desire to learn from history and experience, and a great soaring passionate intelligence — the clear tools for our continued survival and prosperity. Which aspects of our nature will prevail is uncertain, particularly when our visions and prospects are bound to one small part of the small planet Earth. But up there in the immensity of the Cosmos, an inescapable perspective awaits us. There are not yet any obvious signs of extraterrestrial intelligence and this makes us wonder whether civilizations like ours always rush implacably, headlong, toward self-destruction. National boundaries are not evident when we view the Earth from space. Fanatical ethnic or religious or national chauvinisms are a little difficult to maintain when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars. Travel is broadening."
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Agent

Re: Carl Sagan

Post by Agent »

The man was simply brilliant. A scientific genius with an amazing ability to set his knowledge in ethical and philosophical terms.
Laurens wrote:This video brings tears to my eyes, his words are so profound. The most adequate description of how hearing these words makes me feel is by saying I think that it conjures up the kind of feeling you are supposed to get when you go to church.
I know exactly what you mean. It just inspires such a sense of awe and wonder for me. Gives a great sense of perspective too.

This reminds me I need to finish reading The Demon-Haunted World. I also have a copy of Dragons of Eden that I haven't had a chance to read.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sagan is a legend. Unfortunately, his TV series, "Cosmos", looks quite dated now, but the clarity of explanation is stunning, and far superior to most of the more modern attempts.

This clip is a good example. How the size of the earth was estimated soon after the time of the Buddha...

Carl Sagan: Calculating the Size of the Earth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dBbjHnQuS8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was quite a feat for an astrophysics professor to get the expression "Bill-yuns and Bill-yuns" (which he never exactly said as far as I can recall, I think there were "millions and billions"... ) into popular culture to the extent that it featured in some memorable 1980s Saturday Night Live sketches.

Mike
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" was the first book about science i read. The first of quite a few. It was the begining of my interest in physics, which would later be transformed into interest in mathematics. The book was very good as far as i remember. I also read Broca's Brain, but it was not as interesting.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Well, I will be the dissenting opinion. :P I never cared for him. But I'm not an astronomy guy either. However, I loved Jacques Cousteau who aired his breathtaking specials around the same time. That guy invented an entire area of exploration and the means whereby to do it. Wish those would air again.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Laurens,

I suspect you might enjoy this...

A Glorious Dawn - Carl Sagan feat Stephen Hawking
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2322" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sukhamanveti

Post by sukhamanveti »

"We have grown distant from the Cosmos. It has seemed more remote and irrelevant to everyday concerns. But science has found not only that the universe has a reeling and ecstatic grandeur, not only that it is accessible to human understanding, but also that we are, in a very real and profound sense, a part of the Cosmos, born from it, our fate deeply connected with it."

Carl Sagan was as much a teacher of wisdom as he was a teacher of science. He presented science as something "spiritual," for lack of a better word. When he addressed the cosmic perspective or the interconnectedness of phenomena, he seemed almost "Buddhist" to me, although he was not an adherent of any religion. He also displayed an extraordinary commitment to the pursuit of the truth wherever it might lead. I loved Cosmos, both the book and the series (which may be found on DVD in its entirety), and the book The Demon-Haunted World. I also enjoyed William Poundstone's biography of him, Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos. I will never forget this amazing man.
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,