What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
notself

Re: What's the hottest it gets to where you live?

Post by notself »

The record high temperature in the Ozark mountains of Arkansas was 120`F / 49`C in 1936. Temperatures of over 100'F are not unusual in July and August.
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
Element

Post by Element »

Some respite in the way for Retro. :jumping:

KeithBC

Post by KeithBC »

appicchato wrote: Chris: For most of the world Fahrenheit is the measure used, not Celsius.
I may be about to crawl out on a limb here, but who, besides America and Britain use Fahrenheit?...and I'd venture to say definitely not 'most'...
[Edited misattributed quote — Dhammanando]
But the U.S. is most of the world, isn't it? :rolleye:

The hottest we've been is 38 C. Plenty warm enough!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
Ben

Post by Ben »

retrofuturist wrote:A few minutes ago the nearest weather station just clocked in at 47.5'C / 117.5'F

:shock:

It's the hottest Melbourne day on record with the city reaching 46.4'C at 3.04pm... overtaking the old record of 45.6'C and by far and away beating the old February record of 43.2'C

Metta,
Retro. :)
Hi Retro

I was in Melbourne the day before yesterday and stayed in a hotel near Faulkner Park in South Yarra. I was horrified to see in that city of gardens, the lawns of Faulkner Park dead and the elms on St Kilda Road dying from the extreme heat and drought. In one of the wealthiest areas in Melbourne, trees and shrubs in private gardens were dying. I hope all is well in the Retro household and the heat not having too great an adverse effect on your family.
Our top temperature today was 31C.
Metta
Ben
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Our garden is fine... it's already drought-proof because we're practical folk who go for native plants rather than those hi-falutin' inner city folk. :jumping: They won't know what to do without their lavishly flourishing water-wasting gardens.

Some of the leaves though on the trees here have been scorched though.

We've just turned the air conditioner off... just as I speak though, my wife's turned it back on! Seems she still thinks it's hot. Family and dogs all fine.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Retro

Take care of your natives because they will also die in this extreme heat and lack of water. I know from painful experience.
Good to hear that the family is coping ok with the heat. I hope the change comes soon.
Give my regards to Mrs Retro and Mini-Retro.
Cheers

Ben (the unmuzzled Tasmanian Devil)
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..