The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: The Buddhist Path to Awakening by Rupert Gethin

Postby bodom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
bodom wrote:
Well my copy of Foundations of Buddhism arrived today containing the pen and highlighting I knew it would. The ad said it was in "great shape!" with no mention of markings. No more used books for me!

:anjali:
If you ordered via ABE can complain, but do make sure you give the bookseller a very poor rating, but at least you did not pay $50.00 for it..

I sent the seller an email but haven't heard anything back yet. Doubt I will. You are right though, I got an excellent book for ten bucks so im grateful.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Cheer up Bodom,

On a radio programme I was listening to yesterday, it was pointed out that marginal notes, etc, used to raise the value of books. Especially marginal translations of Greek and Latin passages... :tongue:

Haha thanks for the laugh Mike! Too bad my copies in english because with the amount of notes my copy contains it would be worth a fortune!

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby ancientbuddhism » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 am

Katamo ca bhikkhave asaṅkhatagāmī maggo: samatho ca vipassanā ca. Ayaṃ vuccati bhikkhave asaṅkhatagāmī maggo.

“And what, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Calm and insight. This, bhikkhus, is called the path leading to the unconditioned.” SN. 43.2 – Samathavipassanāsuttaṃ

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
ancientbuddhism

Postby cooran » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:31 am

Many thanks ancientbuddhism ! :group:

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Previous

Return to Lounge