Retro's Rockers

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

Retro's Rockers

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

For no real reason other than because I feel like it, I'm going to do a countdown of my favourite 100 bands and musicians! A new one each day...

Let's get this party started...

#100 - S*M*A*S*H

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Retro's Rockers

Post by tiltbillings »

How long do we have to wait for the Pet Shop Boys? Some West End girls would like to know.
Attachments
pet_shop_boys_01-701309[1].jpg
pet_shop_boys_01-701309[1].jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 7644 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
bodom

Post by bodom »

Nice thread! Dont know the first band but im hoping your gonna have some metal in the countdown somewhere!!! \m/

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
bodom wrote:Nice thread! Dont know the first band but im hoping your gonna have some metal in the countdown somewhere!!!
Yes, but it's the exception rather than the norm.
tilt wrote:How long do we have to wait for the Pet Shop Boys?
Might be a while yet.... :D

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:
tilt wrote:How long do we have to wait for the Pet Shop Boys?
Might be a while yet....
Oh, I cannot wait.
Attachments
hirsch1942[1].jpg
hirsch1942[1].jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 7634 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:thumbsup: Cool.

I am not as big of a music fan as Retro, but I love lists and countdowns. :tongue:

When I was younger I liked watching the "Top 100 music videos of all time" on MTV. I always thought it was kind of funny how the Top 10 seemed to be dominated by musicians who were currently in the Top 40 (of that time) for a so-called "all-time" best list.
alan

Post by alan »

Bruce or No Bruce?
If there is to be no Springsteen, I'm not sure I can fully support this enterprise. http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

tiltbillings wrote:How long do we have to wait for the Pet Shop Boys? Some West End girls would like to know.
Priceless!!
Thanks Tilt for the laugh.

B
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Bruce or No Bruce?
If there is to be no Springsteen, I'm not sure I can fully support this enterprise. http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would want to see Tom Waits.

alan

Post by alan »

Springsteen rocks as hard as anyone ever has. He's thoughtful, clear minded, and determined to use his talents to inspire. He's a national treasure.
And he can be funny. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... _bruc.html
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Springsteen rocks as hard as anyone ever has. He's thoughtful, clear minded, and determined to use his talents to inspire. He's a national treasure.
And he can be funny. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... _bruc.html
No argument from me, but I am thinking retro's taste in music go off in a bit of a different, odder, direction, but who knows he could be a big Barry Manilow fan. We'll just have wait and see.
Attachments
images[7].jpg
images[7].jpg (4.3 KiB) Viewed 7595 times

alan

Post by alan »

God Help us all.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

#99 - The Whip

Metta,
bodom

Post by bodom »

Im diggin 'Trash' from The Whip. Never heard em before.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Bodom,
bodom wrote:Im diggin 'Trash' from The Whip. Never heard em before.
They're from Manchester, have one album called "X Marks Destination" which contains the two songs linked to above, and are supposedly working on their second album. I like them mainly because they follow in the steps of other famous Manchester bands like New Order, who demonstrate that synthesizers and electric guitars needn't be kept separated, and in fact, go very well together! Until about 10 years ago, you would be surprised just how many bands were either guitar-only, or synth-only... with very little crossover.

Metta,