Extreme is the New Normal

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Alex123

Re: Extreme is the New Normal

Post by Alex123 »

andre9999 wrote:
Alex123 wrote:Even if humans have never appeared, the atmosphere would be 99.9986% the same.[/b]
I enjoy that you call your viewpoint "the truth", yet you honestly believe that you're able to determine the atmospheric impact of humanity to .0001%.

Bravo.
Is my math in http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p118950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrong? You are free to correct it and I'll gladly change the number.

In brief:

check:
How much CO2 we put into atmosphere vs how much nature puts. ~3.76%
How much of CO2 is in the atmosphere. 0.039%
How much CO2 humans add to the atmosphere.. 0.0014664%
How much natural atmospheric fluctuations vs human CO2 addition gives. 99.9985336% (100-0.0014664)

my sources were:
http://www.skepticalscience.com/human-c ... ssions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ftp://ftp.cmdl.noaa.gov/ccg/co2/trends/ ... an_mlo.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Alex123 wrote:Is my math in http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 60#p118950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; wrong? You are free to correct it and I'll gladly change the number.
You are hilariously arrogant to think that you or anyone else can be accurate in a calculation like that.

I hope the mods don't mind me proverbially poking you with a stick (they probably do). But despite my failure at Right Action this is fairly enjoyable watching you get worked up.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

All,

I like to think for myself, and sometimes enjoy to check the numbers rather than accept "opinion of the experts" (even of climate change skeptics).

I simply cannot understand how human contribution of 0.0014664% of CO2 to the atmosphere causes climate change.

If humans have contributed more than 50%, then I would agree. But variability withing natural cycle , and various astronomic events would easily erase all the human produced "additions".

Here is a simile:

Lets say two people put money in the common bank account. Each year Andrew puts in $10,000 while Bob puts 15 cents.

Who put in the real money, the one who put in 99.9986% of the money, or the one who put in 0.0014664% ?
Even without Bob, the bank account would be almost entirely up to Andrew, not Bob.

Andrew stands for nature.
Bob stands for humans.
Bank account stands for the atmosphere.
Inflation is natural noise & variability of internal/external conditions: Volcanic emissions, obliquity, eccentricity, solar activity, etc.

The yearly inflation would easily erase all contribution made by Bob.
Last edited by Alex123 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

I can see that you're addressing me, but beyond the "Andre," greeting, I can't figure out why you're going on and on.

Do you understand that I am not interested in hearing your viewpoint? I am starting to think that you are just desperate that someone - anyone - listen to what you have to say. You've become nothing but a broken record.
bodom

Post by bodom »

The OP has requested that this thread be closed. It is long past due.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB