Buddhist cat

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
zavk

Buddhist cat

Post by zavk »

I thought my cat is Buddhist because she often sits with me to meditate (i.e. nap), but I think this is the real deal:

The footage appears to be from Korea, but this appears to be a TV program from Hong Kong. I don't understand the voice-over because I don't understand Cantonese, and with my totally pathetic understanding of the Chinese language (despite studying it in school) I can only barely make out what the subtitles are saying: The cat would go to the Dhamma hall everyday and sit for hours in front of the Buddha rupa, almost as if it were prostrating or venerating it. The monks would try to entice it out to play but it would just return to the Dhamma hall. The only times when it voluntarily leaves the Dhamma hall is when it is hungry.

A good rebirth for this cat, I reckon. :meditate:
With metta,
zavk
plwk

Re: Buddhist cat

Post by plwk »

There must be a mousey hiding behind the statue somewhere...
Buddhist cat
I wonder how is the Tisarana in meow....

Covered here too: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zavk

Post by zavk »

plwk wrote:There must be a mousey hiding behind the statue somewhere...
Buddhist cat
I wonder how is the Tisarana in meow....

Covered here too: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh I didn't know it had been featured since last year.

Based on my cat's vocal range, I'm guessing... 'mrrrrp...meoow... puuurrrrr' x 3.
With metta,
zavk
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I often wondered what meditators with pets do. I just assumed they closed the door. So your cat will settle in by you and be still enough for you to push on with your meditation?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Cats like warm comfy cushions.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
zavk

Post by zavk »

Yup my cat sure loves my meditation blanket/cushion. She usually comes into the room, look out the window for a while, then circle around me.... sometimes she'll clamber on my lap to ask for a kiss, but she'll eventually settle down like in my avatar pic, resting her head on my leg to have a snooze. It's not much of a disturbance really; I might pat her or 'headbutt' her in return then i get back to my meditation. I had to get my partner to quickly tip toe into the room to take that photo.
With metta,
zavk
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

One of my greyhounds just likes to come over while I'm sitting, stand a foot in front of me for a minute, then nudge my face with his wet nose. On the bright side, I'd prefer that to having a 100-pound dog try to sit in my lap.
Ben

Post by Ben »

andre9999 wrote:One of my greyhounds just likes to come over while I'm sitting, stand a foot in front of me for a minute, then nudge my face with his wet nose. On the bright side, I'd prefer that to having a 100-pound dog try to sit in my lap.
Earlier today, I wrote a post about one of our greyhounds, dearly deceased now for nearly two years, who would come and try and sit on my lap while I meditated. Unfortunately, my satellite connection dropped out as I sent my post!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..