Einstein and Buddhism

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Einstein and Buddhism

Postby clw_uk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Just read a quote from Einstein that struck me, sounds like he knew Dhamma

The fact that man produces a concept "I" besides the totality of his mental and emotional experiences or perceptions does not prove that there must be any specific existence behind such a concept. We are succumbing to illusions produced by our self-created language, without reaching a better understanding of anything. Most of so-called philosophy is due to this kind of fallacy.

Just thought id share lol

:anjali:
Open your mind and see, open your mind and rise. Shine the light of wisdom and see, don't wait till the end of time.
clw_uk

Re: Einstein and Buddhism

Postby cooran » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks clw_uk.

Could you give the reference location please? I'd be very interested to read more. :smile:

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby clw_uk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 pm

Open your mind and see, open your mind and rise. Shine the light of wisdom and see, don't wait till the end of time.
clw_uk

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 pm

This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby clw_uk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 pm

There is some more here

Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein

http://thebuddhistblog.blogspot.com/200 ... dhism.html
clw_uk

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi Craig,

That's a quote that some of us have spent a while trying to verify. I've not yet seen a reliable source.

It's kind of interesting to see what Einstein had to say about these things, since he was obviously a clever fellow. However, much as I admire Einstein (and routinely use the physics he helped to create), he's certainly not the last word on Religion, Philosophy, or even Physics (of course, he had a hand in creating much of modern physics, but his major impact was a century ago). I'm not an expert on philosophy, but in light of occasional discussions with professional philosophers, my impression is that that the "philosophical" pronouncements of 20th Century Physicists, such as Einstein, Feynman, etc, often do not stand up particularly well to detailed analysis.

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:52 pm

clw_uk wrote:
Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein

That's a great quote, but no one has been able to find the source for that. It is quoted at many Dhamma/Dharma websites, but the references are usually just to other Buddhist sites. A couple of years ago there was a guy going around and challenging all of the sites that had that quote, including e-sangha's use of that quote.

I did find a reference to one book about Einstein's writings, even ordered it through inter-library loan and could not find the quote any where in the book. It sounds like something he might say and I suppose it could be a paraphrase of different quotes and writings.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby clw_uk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:01 pm

I see what you mean, i tried searching now for it and it does seem to be a phantom quote, still the first one was quite good :jumping:

Wasnt trying to put it accross that he was the final word, just find him interesting so thought id share what he said :smile:

:anjali:
clw_uk

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:10 am

Greetings,

clw_uk wrote:I see what you mean, i tried searching now for it and it does seem to be a phantom quote, still the first one was quite good :jumping:

I wonder if the first is a phantom quote too.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:45 am

I spent quite a bit of time researching the authenticity of those 'buddhism' quotes attributed to Albert Einstein a couple of years ago. I got in touch with the Albert Einstein Archives - either in Germany or Israel, and received a response from the head archivist/curator who assured me that a lot of things were attributed to Einstein that he didn't say or publish. A case of people putting words into his mouth.
I could not locate any material stated by or published by Einstein that mentioned Buddhism, though I would love to be corrected on this one.
Kind regards

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby jcsuperstar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:17 am

there was a quote of his in defense of christianity that was a fraud too, in fact even in his life he was aware of it and there are letters of his talking about how he had no idea where it came from...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby piotr » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:33 am

Hi,

Ben wrote:I spent quite a bit of time researching the authenticity of those 'buddhism' quotes attributed to Albert Einstein a couple of years ago. I got in touch with the Albert Einstein Archives - either in Germany or Israel, and received a response from the head archivist/curator who assured me that a lot of things were attributed to Einstein that he didn't say or publish. A case of people putting words into his mouth.

I'm glad to hear about your efforts Ben. :smile: I came to the same conclusion after my private research in the Internet.

I could not locate any material stated by or published by Einstein that mentioned Buddhism, though I would love to be corrected on this one.

Here are some Einstein's essays where he mentions either Buddhism or the Buddha:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/einstein/einsci.htm
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
piotr

Return to Lounge