Why are there so many 'secret' Buddhists?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mawkish1983

Re: Why are there so many 'secret' Buddhists?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I'm sorry you feel that way Nathan.
Journey

Post by Journey »

genkaku wrote:
Just one thing ... maybe it's Buddhism, maybe it's Hershey bars. The label, whether used or unused, doesn't make much difference: It's the getting to the bottom of things that matters.

A Buddhist doesn't worry too much about calling him/herself a "Buddhist." True, you might not want to wave it in anyone's face (at a Christian revival meeting for example :)) but simultaneously, pretending to scorn labels is just a means of finding another label.

Just my two cents.
:goodpost:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I didn't intend for this threat to turn so volatile. Is there any way I can ask the Moderators to close this thread now?
nathan

Post by nathan »

If that sorriness is an apology Mawkish1983, I accept it. I think you should carefully examine where attachments to, aversions to and identifications with labels inevitably leads us all and reconsider your intentions in keeping with that. I think we all should.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
thecap

Post by thecap »

Why are there so many 'secret' Buddhists?
Because. :anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Thread closed at original poster's request.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."