Uniqueness of the Buddhadhamma

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ceisiwr

Uniqueness of the Buddhadhamma

Post by Ceisiwr »

I was reading up on Epicurus when i came accross this

Epicurus
Epicurus put forward the theory of "materialism": The only things that exist are bodies and the space between them.

Epicurus taught that the soul is also made of material objects, and so when the body dies the soul dies with it. There is no afterlife.

Epicurus thought that gods might exist, but if they did, they did not have anything to do with human beings.

Religion was the human activity of trying to live in the way such noble (but unknowable) gods might live.

The soul cannot survive separation from the body, since it is necessary to understand that it too is a part.
By itself the soul cannot ever either exist (even though Plato and the Stoics talk a great deal of nonsense on the subject) or experience movement, just as the body does not possess sensation when the soul is released from it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ient.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is obviously simillar if not the same as Ajita Kesakambali's teachings

When i realised this it occured to me, the teachings of Lord Buddha really are unique in the world

Every other kind of religious/philosophical thought has been repeated by many other individuals/religions throughout history, even when there is seperation by time, place and culture the same teachings keep coming up in human thought accept for the teachings of Lord Buddha that hasnt been repeated by anyone else in the known history of man

Isnt that something special?

:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sukhamanveti

Re: Uniqueness of the Buddhadhamma

Post by sukhamanveti »

Hi clw_uk,

I agree! (I just had to find something I could agree with you about after our debate. :smile: )

I have read that the anatta or Not-Self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha. It seems to be the biggest difference.

Best regards.

Ed
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5
Ceisiwr

Re: Uniqueness of the Buddhadhamma

Post by Ceisiwr »

We have an agreement :woohoo: :clap: lol

I have read that the anatta or Not-Self doctrine is found only in the teaching of the Buddha. It seems to be the biggest difference.

Absolutely, not only Anatta but the four noble cant be found anywhere else, i think this is because there not coming from thought or conjecture but from an understanding of reality, an insight into how things are

All the best

Craig

:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”