Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:49 am

Greetings,

Of no relevance to the Dhamma, but the new Pet Shop Boys album "Yes" has just been released and this link allows you to listen to (yet not download) the entire album.

Yes, Pet Shop Boys - Album Sampler Widget
http://widgets.clearspring.com/cscallba ... UKpV.FarUQ

If the first single, Love Etc., is anything to go by... it promises to be a mighty fine album.

So with this widget, why do I not know whether it's a mighty fine album first-hand?

Well, I'm resisting temptation and waiting until I get a physical copy of it first (old school!)... and I'm still waiting for the online shop to post it to me. Fingers crossed they post it within the next 24 hours.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"When we transcend one level of truth, the new level becomes what is true for us. The previous one is now false. What one experiences may not be what is experienced by the world in general, but that may well be truer. (Ven. Nanananda)

“I hope, Anuruddha, that you are all living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.” (MN 31)

Never again...

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21276
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 am

The Pet Shop Boys? I think i'll go into the other room now.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:01 am

tiltbillings wrote:I think i'll go into the other room now.

I think I'll join you :)

Incidentally, only about two weeks now until my recording studio is completed and I can start writing music again. It's been a while...

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:05 am

You two dunces can go sit in the corner...

Image

:rofl:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"When we transcend one level of truth, the new level becomes what is true for us. The previous one is now false. What one experiences may not be what is experienced by the world in general, but that may well be truer. (Ven. Nanananda)

“I hope, Anuruddha, that you are all living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.” (MN 31)

Never again...

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21276
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:10 am

You two dunces can go sit in the corner...


In another room, of course. Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 12150
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:54 am

tiltbillings wrote:Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.

At least someone has good taste. As I recall, the Finn brothers come from the same small NZ town as Ven Huifeng of E-Sangha fame...

Mike

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21276
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:21 am

Well, I suppose as 80's bands go, the PSB are a cut above Men Without Hats. We all have our guilty pleasure, I suppose, so we should not too hard on poor Paul.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Cittasanto
Posts: 6009
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:48 am

I do like the PSB' let me know what it is like I may not have a chance to get it.

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Of no relevance to the Dhamma, but the new Pet Shop Boys album "Yes" has just been released and this link allows you to listen to (yet not download) the entire album.

Yes, Pet Shop Boys - Album Sampler Widget
http://widgets.clearspring.com/cscallba ... UKpV.FarUQ

If the first single, Love Etc., is anything to go by... it promises to be a mighty fine album.

So with this widget, why do I not know whether it's a mighty fine album first-hand?

Well, I'm resisting temptation and waiting until I get a physical copy of it first (old school!)... and I'm still waiting for the online shop to post it to me. Fingers crossed they post it within the next 24 hours.

Metta,
Retro. :)
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

User avatar
Fede
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: The Heart of this "Green & Pleasant Land"...
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:14 am

mikenz66 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.

At least someone has good taste. As I recall, the Finn brothers come from the same small NZ town as Ven Huifeng of E-Sangha fame...

Mike

And I love Lighthouse Family too.....

Mind you, pet Shop Boys have done a lot of great stuff writing for other Artists, too.....

I'll tell you how old I am - old....
I actually enjoy watching, and listening to - The Bee Gees and the Osmonds

Though Marie's "Paper Woses" is not one on my 'must play' list.....

And I could listen to Mike Oldfield's Tubular bells (the Original, not the re-mastered) for hours on end.......

Ooooh! I'm gonna start a thread......!!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D


http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 17187
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: War.loun.dig.er.ler
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:42 am

mikenz66 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.

At least someone has good taste. As I recall, the Finn brothers come from the same small NZ town as Ven Huifeng of E-Sangha fame...

Mike


I think I'll hang out with you guys! You might be interested to know, the Finn's band that preceded Crowded House, Split Enz, reformed briefly to play at a Victorian Bushfires Benefit Concert a week or so ago. From all accounts, it was a good concert.

Me, I'm waiting patiently for the new Bob Dylan album Together through life: http://www.bobdylan.com/
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 17187
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: War.loun.dig.er.ler
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:49 am

Hi fede

Fede wrote:And I could listen to Mike Oldfield's Tubular bells (the Original, not the re-mastered) for hours on end....


I actually do. But I listen to the 2003 version. Its not just remastered, Oldfield re-recorded it after correcting the musical mistakes that he didn't have the time for when he had access to the studio in somebody's castle for two days as a 19-year-old. I actually think the 2003 is musically far superior to the original.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Mawkish1983
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:52 pm

retrofuturist wrote:You two dunces can go sit in the corner

As I recall, that's where all the 'cool' people hang out :tongue:

User avatar
BubbaBuddhist
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:55 am
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Ah, me--I guess I'll have to hang out in the antechamber! :lol I'm VERY Olde School. The Metropolitan Opera has all (and I do mean ALL) their Opera videos and audios on line in HD streaming format for $14 a month... I've been hooked up for days. This was like giving the keys to the liquor cabinet to an alcoholic. Now when I go out i public I communicate in song.

J
Image
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Kare » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Shame on you all! As good Theravadists you should stay with The Teaching of the Elders in music as well as in the Dhamma!

Anything later than Bach is nothing but Mahayana of music, not to mention the Tantrayana of pop and rock!

In order to be converted to the True Theramusic, take a look at this video where L'Arpeggiata performes a simple song by Monteverdi - simple, but refined, with exquisite style and improvisations:

http://www.amazon.de/Teatro-dAmore-Chri ... 975&sr=8-3
Mettāya,
Kåre

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 12150
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Hmm, isn't Mayahana post 1960s?
Ben wrote:Me, I'm waiting patiently for the new Bob Dylan album Together through life: http://www.bobdylan.com/

Yes, that was a surprise, given the rate he's been releasing albums for the last decade or so...

Mike

User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
Posts: 17187
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: War.loun.dig.er.ler
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Kare wrote:Shame on you all! As good Theravadists you should stay with The Teaching of the Elders in music as well as in the Dhamma!

Anything later than Bach is nothing but Mahayana of music, not to mention the Tantrayana of pop and rock!

In order to be converted to the True Theramusic, take a look at this video where L'Arpeggiata performes a simple song by Monteverdi - simple, but refined, with exquisite style and improvisations:

http://www.amazon.de/Teatro-dAmore-Chri ... 975&sr=8-3


That was amazing! Thanks Kare!
I love the hammer dulcimer. Those other instruments look and sound incredible, and, WHAT A VOICE!
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21276
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Bach is all well and good, if one likes Abhidhamma music, but I grew up on plainsong of the Gregorian variety, in other words back as close as we can get to original music.
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Kare » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:08 pm

tiltbillings wrote:Bach is all well and good, if one likes Abhidhamma music,


Bach Abhidhamma music? He he ... I liked that one! :clap:

but I grew up on plainsong of the Gregorian variety, in other words back as close as we can get to original music.


Gregorian? That one is pre-buddhistic ... it goes back to Rig Veda ... :twisted:

The true Middle Way is late Renaissance and early Baroque music. :anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre

User avatar
BubbaBuddhist
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:55 am
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Monteverdi was the guy; if it weren't for him, there wouldn't be opera. Orfeo et Euridice still holds its own. Nor should we overlook Palestrina; definitely a Thera.

Bach's Cantatawerks and Masses are terrific vocal experiences too.

J the fop
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

User avatar
Kare
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Postby Kare » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:41 am

Ben wrote:
Kare wrote:Shame on you all! As good Theravadists you should stay with The Teaching of the Elders in music as well as in the Dhamma!

Anything later than Bach is nothing but Mahayana of music, not to mention the Tantrayana of pop and rock!

In order to be converted to the True Theramusic, take a look at this video where L'Arpeggiata performes a simple song by Monteverdi - simple, but refined, with exquisite style and improvisations:

http://www.amazon.de/Teatro-dAmore-Chri ... 975&sr=8-3


That was amazing! Thanks Kare!
I love the hammer dulcimer. Those other instruments look and sound incredible, and, WHAT A VOICE!
Cheers

Ben


Yes, there are some really good counter-tenors these days. Although this singer should perhaps rather be classified as a male soprano. I met another male soprano at an early music workshop in Norway some years ago. He had a normal speaking voice, but his singing voice was a clear and beautiful soprano - very apt for 17th century songs. He came from Argentina, and he told me that his voice was not accepted or appreciated there, due to the macho culture of his homeland, so he had lived through lots of hardship. He was almost moved to tears when he told how he had met acceptance and appreciation in Europe. Dukkha turned to sukha!
Mettāya,
Kåre


Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cooran, robertk, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine