Information request (sexual abuse)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Velvetsea

Information request (sexual abuse)

Post by Velvetsea »

Hi, I don´t know if this is the right topic but I figured "general" was the best place to ask.
I just recently found out that a close friend of mine was sexually abused by someone in the catholic church (news of this every day makes you wonder what the catholic church REALLY is..) It happened a long time ago but I know they still haven´t fully healed from it.
I know there are lots of Buddhist sources on forgiveness, etc. but I was wondering if anyone knew of any Buddhist books, articles, etc. about sexual abuse specifically. It would be especially helpful if it was in Spanish but English is fine too.
Thanks for any help. :)
BlueLotus

Re: Information request (sexual abuse)

Post by BlueLotus »

Maybe what your friend needs is professional help from a therapist or a counselor.

:anjali:
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

I don't know of any specifically Buddhist writing on the subject of childhood sexual abuse. It's true your friend should see a counsellor or therapist.

If the attacker is still alive he may still be victimizing children. It's likely that your friend will be advised to make a statement to the police. I don't know where you are but generally one makes an appointment to see a detective working with historical sexual assaults. Everything your friend will tell the detective will be recorded as possible evidence in any future trial or civil litigation. Sometimes with assaults that occurred many years ago the authorities decide they can't proceed with criminal charges. Even if this is so, your friend's statement may be used at a later time as corroborative evidence in support of another victim.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

One of the best known lines that is relevant is from the Dhammapada:
He abused me, he struck me, he overcame me, he robbed me”—in those who harbor such thoughts hatred will never cease.

He abused me, he struck me, he overcame me, he robbed me”—in those who do not harbor such thoughts hatred will cease. "

-- Dhammapada 1.3–4
And a few sources for your friend that I could find:

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Revolution- ... B004J17VNU

http://www.thepowerofforgiveness.com/pd ... ddhism.pdf

May they be well!
_/|\_