nekhamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

nekhamma

Post by befriend »

today i kind of followed the eight precepts. i renounced a lot of things. like music, and tv, and distractions. my mind felt like a cool crisp fall day whenever my i would happen to recall my renunciation. i felt so clear headed. i think desire is like a poison in the mind that clouds the natural clarity of our wisdom and like awareness. i will practice this more, and report back to you guys. do you think renunciation is under emphasized in western buddhism because people here are so new to the dhamma, renunciation seems like a hardship. i always feel better from renunciation than i do from the indulgance. metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Re: nekhamma

Post by befriend »

is vipassana the only thing that makes panna stay with you. or can renunciation cultivate wisdom the same way?
manas

Post by manas »

:candle:
Last edited by manas on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
befriend

Post by befriend »

i think in my understanding of it now. its like not so much our happiness never get satisfied, thats part of it. but its like SUCH a waste of time. running like a chicken with our heads cut off. i feel so sane and cool headed right now. i hope to follow the 8 precepts more diligently. to be honest ive never felt better in terms of well being in my dhamma practice then like 5 minutes ago. think about it. its the tangible energy of wisdom. its like touching wisdom not just seeing it. its the EXPRESSION of equanimity and buddha said equanimity is like nibbana. the snuffing out of desire. i just wanted to inspire others its not really a topic i just wanted to share my maha sukha. i felt all this contorted like energy leave my body. cause desire is so insane, your saying oh that cookie is permanent I want it, but happiness isnt even real. the ego makes happiness seem real. so all this hedonism is insanity. so after my nekhamma i felt all this like tight bent energy leave me i think that was some craving. i think if we are drinking 5 coffees a day and listening to music a lot, that is counter productive to our bhavana, and is not an expression of wisdom.
befriend

Post by befriend »

i wll try not to become passionate about dispassion so it becomes another attachment? or is that a good thing. apacayana.
manas

Post by manas »

befriend wrote:i wll try not to become passionate about dispassion so it becomes another attachment? or is that a good thing. apacayana.
Rather than 'trying not to become passionate about dispassion', apply sati-sampajanna to the mind instead. If there is pīti, discern that. When it passes away, discern that. That's what I'm trying to do nowdays. We will have inspiring days, and we will have uninspired days.

I'm trying to train myself to not let my level of inspiration dictate how much practice I do. That is where a measure of control should be applied, imho. But as for pīti, just witness it...

:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
ground

Post by ground »

befriend wrote:is vipassana the only thing that makes panna stay with you. or can renunciation cultivate wisdom the same way?
Renunciation is wisdom. If vipassana leads to wisdom then it can only be renunciation otherwise it is no wisdom what results from vipassana.

Kind regards