Anyone can go to heaven, just be good

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: Anyone can go to heaven, just be good

Post by Ceisiwr »

Will wrote:Since this verse is often used, without qualification or explanation, as expressing the heart of the Dhamma, I think it is just fine for the majority of mankind to know a good life will result in a good afterlife.
Verse 183: Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind - this is the Teaching of the Buddhas.

I dont see what that has to do with "rebirth"

Also if there is no rebirth, does that mean we would just run around shooting each other? If thats so then its just a business deal "i will do this, if i can get that"

Its also very conceited "I" will do this, so "I" can get that

Metta
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

There's a website at http://www.justbegood.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the tagline "Anyone can go to heaven, just be good"

What do you think of this tagline?

Is promoting heavenly realms as a future destination a good or bad way to promote the Dhamma in the 21st century?

Metta,
Retro. :)
I had visited this site in the past before seeing this thread. Google lead me there when I was searching about some sort of dharma issue (I can't remember what). It''s a treasure trove of information.

:namaste:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

clw_uk wrote:
Will wrote:Since this verse is often used, without qualification or explanation, as expressing the heart of the Dhamma, I think it is just fine for the majority of mankind to know a good life will result in a good afterlife.
Verse 183: Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind - this is the Teaching of the Buddhas.

I dont see what that has to do with "rebirth"

Also if there is no rebirth, does that mean we would just run around shooting each other? If thats so then its just a business deal "i will do this, if i can get that"

Its also very conceited "I" will do this, so "I" can get that

Metta
I was responding to the first post & the tagline "Anyone can go to heaven, just be good".
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.