Anagarika

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Anagarika

Postby clw_uk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:22 pm

Greetings

How many times can one practice as an anagarika, can one practice for a year then leave and then decide to go back as an anagarika again?

Metta
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: Anagarika

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 pm

as far as i know there is no limit
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby SeerObserver » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:05 pm

In concurrence with jc, I am also not aware of any limit. Sadhu if you're going to practice as one.
SeerObserver

Postby clw_uk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks both, im intending to do so at some point in near future, when my family situation gets a bit better

Metta
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 pm

I think the limit of 7 is solely for Bhikkhus not novices or Anagarikas but the 8 vows of an anagarika are observed on the moon phases anyway so it would only make sense for no limit to apply also.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion