EEG & Meditation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

EEG & Meditation

Post by Cittasanto »

I remember a thread in the last couple of months regarding brain scans upon meditators, and I had read an article in the Samatha Trusts Journal about EEG scan done on meditators within their group, it is available online here http://www.samatha.org/eeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If any of the moderators remember the thread please merge it if you think it is worth while.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Re: EEG & Meditation

Post by Ben »

Thank you Cittasanto, that preliminary study is quite incredible!
Thank you for sharing.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

upon looking at this site again I see the research now has its own website http://www.samadhieeg.org.uk/page13.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

I find these studies very interesting... Richie Davidson and Jon Kabat Zinn have been involved in studies on meditation in the USA since the 90's... More attention has been given to it in recent years and I think that is awesome!

Thanks for these links

:anjali:
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
marc108

Post by marc108 »

very very cool. i would love to see someoen like Ajahn Brahm or another great meditation master hooked up to an EEG and see their brain vs a lay meditator.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

marc108 wrote:very very cool. i would love to see someoen like Ajahn Brahm or another great meditation master hooked up to an EEG and see their brain vs a lay meditator.
they did some studies with Tibetan Lamas and Rinpoches.. some reading were off the charts compared to non meditators or lay meditators
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

See also:

http://www.leighb.com/EEG%20Power%20and ... anasV5.doc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Interesting to observe and measure these correlations, but (especially for those who are not experts in the neuro field) it is also good to remember that:

Brain Scans Don't Catch The Brain In Action
by ALVA NOË
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/12/0 ... -in-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Science And The Allure Of 'Nothing But'
by ALVA NOË
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2012/12/1 ... othing-but" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thinking:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations