YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Bowing to lay teachers - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Bowing to lay teachers

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SDC

Re: Bowing to lay teachers

Postby SDC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:32 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 am

Here are a couple of articles By Piya Tan which maybe of help.

090916Addressateacher.pdf
How To Address A Teacher
(46.62 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

090211Bowing.piyapdf.pdf
Bowing
(56.27 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 am

Bowing and prostrating comes hard to most people here I think.

I guess Aussies tend to be more irreverent and irreligious than the Yanks. I recall the time when my future friend Nadi did a full prostration to Ajahn Thanasanti (a forest nun) after we had dropped her off at the place she was staying. That was quite confronting and I was not sure what to do. I was certainly very impressed both by the Ajahn's talk and in general but prostrating??

Now I think that bowing and prostrating can be very good. Bow to the Dhamma, bow to the Buddha that is immanent in us all, bow, simply bow.
_/|\_

Ricardo da Silva

Postby Ricardo da Silva » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am

If a man does evil, he should not do it again and again; he should not take delight in it; the accumulation of evil leads to suffering. (Dhammapada 117)

If a man does what is good, he should do it again and again; he should take delight in it; the accumulation of good leads to happiness. (Dhammapada 118)

Bankei

Postby Bankei » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 am

What about monks bowing to laypeople. Does it happen?

bankei
-----------------------
Bankei

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:59 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am

monks can not bow to lay people or junior monks.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

plwk

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:26 am

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:31 pm

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Priority yes, but not everything. Otherwise senior monks would be bowing to junior monks, which they don't.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Why bow to anything or anybody? Just bow.

For me it's primarily an exercise in mindfulness and humbling and it doesn't really matter whether there is a Buddha image, an alter, or a teacher in front of me when i do it. Of course when I'm in tradional environments I do it at the tradional times and in the traditional manner but it's still primarily an exercise in mindfulness and humbling.

Sometimes gratitude towards the triple gem or a teacher arises in the mind sometimes not.

For example I've heard of monks undertaking the practice of bowing whenever they enter or leave their kuti. Also a Mahasi based tradition in northern Thailand practices a very slow one step at a time bowing practise at the begining and the end of sitting, this can take 5 minutes or so, it's very effective in collecting your mind and enhancing mindfulness.

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:53 pm

sattva

Postby sattva » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:54 pm

jabalí

Postby jabalí » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:50 pm

Ricardo da Silva

Postby Ricardo da Silva » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:34 am

If a man does evil, he should not do it again and again; he should not take delight in it; the accumulation of evil leads to suffering. (Dhammapada 117)

If a man does what is good, he should do it again and again; he should take delight in it; the accumulation of good leads to happiness. (Dhammapada 118)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”