The no-doer in the modern world

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
bodom

Re: The no-doer in the modern world

Post by bodom »

Buddhadasa:
Keep in mind the principle of doerless doing: 

The doing is done but no doer is there.
The path has been walked but no walker is there. 

This verse refers to the arahant, the one who has practised Dhamma, or who has walked the Noble Path to its very end and who has reached Nibbana, but with no walker or no practiser to be found. 

The principle of doerless doing must be taken up and utilized in our daily lives. Whether we're eating, sitting, laying down, standing, walking,  using, seeking, whatever we're doing we must have enough truth-discerning awareness to prevent the arising of the feeling of 'I'- the feeling that 'I' am the doer, 'I' am the eater: the walker, the sitter, the sleeper or the user. We must make the mind constantly empty of ego, so that emptiness is the natural state and we abide with the awareness that there is nothing worth having or being.
http://what-buddha-taught.net/Books/Bhi ... _EMPTINESS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sarva

Re: The no-doer in the modern world

Post by Sarva »

Thanks all
I am very grateful for the helpful replies. I am going to 'let go' and not think so much about this for the moment. :) :namaste:
“Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.” — SN 22:86