Help! need Meals for Bhikkhus - vegetarian

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Help! need Meals for Bhikkhus - vegetarian

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 am

OK, I've had to put my reading glasses on for this one....

Butter beans with sultanas

(India)

180g med-sized dried butter beans
3 tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp whole ajowan (ajwain) seeds
0.25 tsp ground tumeric
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
0.5 tsp salt, or to taste
2-4 tbs sultanas
2 tsp sugar, or to taste
1 tbs lemon juice, or more to taste

- Pick over the butter beans and wash them. Put them in a bowl and cover them with 750ml of water and soak for 20 hours. Drain
- Heat the oil in a heavy 3.5 litre pot over a med-high heat. When hot, put in the ajowan seeds and stir at once. Now put in the drained butter beans and turn the heat to a med-low. Add the tumeric, cayenne, salt, sultanas, sugar, and lemon juice. Stir to mix. Add 250ml water and bring to a simmer. Cover tightly and simmer very gently for 45 min. Check the beans every 10 min. If the water evaporates, add a tbs of hot water whenever needed. There should be no liquid left when the butter beans have finished cooking. Adjust seasonings. Serves 3-4.

-- Source: Eastern Vegetarian Cooking by Madhur Jaffrey

Tip
To eliminate soaking time use canned butter beans instead of dried.
If using canned butter beans, use the contents of 3 400ml cans washed and drained,
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Ngawang Drolma. » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm

A very tasty meat substitute is Quorn. It tastes better than meat :smile:
Good luck Chris! I'll try to post veggie recipes.

Kindly,
ND
Ngawang Drolma.

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Ngawang Drolma wrote:A very tasty meat substitute is Quorn. It tastes better than meat :smile:

Also, the vegetarian deli slices: http://www.vegproductsguide.com/meat/deli.html

I once served them to some non-vegetarians and they couldn't tell the difference. Some said it tasted better than the meat slices.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Ngawang Drolma wrote:A very tasty meat substitute is Quorn. It tastes better than meat :smile:

Kindly,
ND

Holy Jesus! I never knew what Quorn was until I googled it and by-passed the town by the same name in the arid centre of South Australia!

I don't think its available in Australia. It might have something to do with our quarantine authorities not looking too kindly on the alien fungus.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion