Which suttas do you consider as the most important?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Which suttas do you consider as the most important?

Postby robertk » Thu May 31, 2012 2:02 pm

I love that site, nice way to translate side by side.
robertk

Postby Bonsai Doug » Thu May 31, 2012 2:29 pm

Sekha wrote:http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/samyutta/maha/sn56-011.html

I just want to say thanx for bringing this site to my attention. :anjali:
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Bonsai Doug

Postby kirk5a » Thu May 31, 2012 2:49 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Just for you, The Sekha Sutta. :)

Hello Bhante

I see this at that link:
2. Sekha Sutta.- On five things leading to decline in a monk’s training: delight in business, in gossip, in sleeping, in company, and want of reflection on the mind as freed. A.iii.116.

I'm curious about this "reflection on the mind as freed." Do you know of more detail where that is described?
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
kirk5a

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm

have you decided on which text to do next?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Sekha » Thu May 31, 2012 4:39 pm

it seems outside of the classic Dhammacak, Anattalak, Mahasatip, Anapanasati, and Kalama Suttas, the list becomes quickly very personal.

I think of doing these first, and then just follow my inspiration, which will keep me rather close to practical instructions and definitions. Probably starting with Kayagatasati Sutta, AN 8-54 (the best for householders I think)... and that alone will keep me busy for a long while!
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org

As a sweet-smelling and beautiful lotus flower may grow upon a heap of rubbish thrown on the highway, so also, out of the rubbish heap of beings may appear a disciple of the Buddha, who with his wisdom, shines resplendent in wisdom. -/ Dhp 58-59
Sekha

Postby Cittasanto » Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Sekha wrote:it seems outside of the classic Dhammacak, Anattalak, Mahasatip, Anapanasati, and Kalama Suttas, the list becomes quickly very personal.

I think of doing these first, and then just follow my inspiration, which will keep me rather close to practical instructions and definitions. Probably starting with Kayagatasati Sutta, AN 8-54 (the best for householders I think)... and that alone will keep me busy for a long while!

Benefit of the Kayagatasati sutta is half the Satipatthana sutta is done! so why not swap it to before and then it is only the refrain you need to work on and the other (2/3 - half in length) just for practical purposes/speed...!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Sekha » Thu May 31, 2012 11:16 pm

anyway, the whole process while probably take months, if not years because I also work on my french website at the same time and I also diversify the work with small projects like deepening an article about a tricky Pali word etc.

I also started just copy/pasting Than B's translations with the Pali text for comparison and bubbles on those words a chose to translate in his own way, which not everyone ever agrees on (dukkha=stress f. ex), which i believe can also be very interesting for Pali autodidacts

example here:
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/majjhima/mn053.html

As a sweet-smelling and beautiful lotus flower may grow upon a heap of rubbish thrown on the highway, so also, out of the rubbish heap of beings may appear a disciple of the Buddha, who with his wisdom, shines resplendent in wisdom. -/ Dhp 58-59
Sekha

Postby Sekha » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:34 am

Just started the Mahāsatipaṭṭhāna Sutta :

http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/digha/dn22.html

Sekha

Postby Kusala » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 am

Kalama sutta
Metta Sutta
Tittha Sutta

And a few others...

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Postby ground » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:45 am

Sabba sutta summarizes all (SN 35.23). Actually this is all that is relevant to "know". As an amendment (maybe) the Kaccayanagotta Sutta (SN 12.15).

Kind regards
ground

Postby lucky-2012 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:32 am

Sekha wrote:It would be useful for me if you could list the 5 or 10 suttas that you consider as the most useful/important, or simply the first ones that come to your mind

thank you

Hi Sekha

Here's a list of my bookmarked suttas - i.e. ones which struck / strike a chord...

Anapanasati Sutta
Attadanda Sutta
Chachakka Sutta
Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Kannakatthala Sutta
Karaniya Metta Sutta
Kayagata-sata Sutta
Kitagiri Sutta
Magga-vibhanga Sutta
Maha-satipatthana Sutta
Piya Sutta
Ratana Sutta
Sigalovada Sutta

...but my list is growing fast.

At some point I plan to organise these somehow.

With metta!
"Make it your sport — watching the defilements and making them starve, like a person giving up an addiction"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... ensed.html
lucky-2012

Postby villkorkarma » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:40 pm

thank you all for this thread, i couldnt ask for somehing happier :)
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion