You'll be untouched by age and death.
Having meditated and seen —
(You'll be) healed by ceasing to cling.
starter

Re: The Dhamma Wheel Memorization Challenge

Postby starter » Tue May 20, 2014 1:46 am

Dhammapada 1. Pairs:

“He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me.”
Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

“He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me.”
Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world.
By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased.
This is a law eternal."

Note: "The Buddha's constant advice to His followers is not to retaliate but to practise patience at all times, at all places, even under provocation. The Buddha extols those who bear and forbear the wrongs of others though they have the power to retaliate. In the Dhammapada itself there are many instances to show how the Buddha practised patience even when He was severely criticised, abused, and attacked. Patience is not a sign of weakness or defeatism but the unfailing strength of great men and women."

[The translation is from http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... budd.html; the note is from http://www.metta.lk/english/Narada/01-Y ... gga.htm#N8]
Last edited by starter on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starter

Postby starter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Yamakavagga: Pairs

manopubbaṅgamā dhammā, ~ manoseṭṭhā manomayā,
manasā ce paduṭṭhena ~ bhāsati vā karoti vā,
tato naṁ dukkham-anveti ~ cakkaṁ va vahato padaṁ.

Mind [intentions/thoughts] is the forerunner of states [states of verbal/bodily acts, suffering or happiness, ...].
Mind is their chief; they are all produced by mind.
If with a corrupted mind [with malevolent intentions/thoughts]
a person speaks or acts,
suffering follows him
like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

manopubbaïgamà dhammà, manoseññhà manomayà,
manasà ce pasannena bhàsati và karoti và,
tato naü sukham-anveti chàyà va anapàyinã. [2]

Mind [intentions/thoughts] is the forerunner of states.
Mind is their chief; they are all produced by mind.
If with a pure mind [with wholesome intentions/thoughts]
a person speaks or acts,
happiness follows him
like his never-departing shadow.
starter

Postby starter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 am

There are these five themes that should often be reflected upon by a woman or a man, by a householder or one gone forth:

(1) "I am subject to old age; I am not exempt from old age."

"There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] youth's intoxication with youth. Because of that intoxication with youth, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that youth's intoxication with youth will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker..."

(2) "I am subject to illness; I am not exempt from illness."

"There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] healthy person's intoxication with health. Because of that intoxication with health, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that healthy person's intoxication with health will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker..."

(3) "I am subject to death; I am not exempt from death."

"There are beings who are intoxicated with a [typical] living person's intoxication with life. Because of that intoxication with life, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that living person's intoxication with life will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker..."

(4) "I must be parted and separated from all that is dear and appealing to me."

"There are beings who feel desire and passion for the things they find dear and appealing. Because of that passion, they conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that desire and passion for the things they find dear and appealing will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker..."

(5) "I am the owner of my kamma/actions, heir to my kamma/actions, born of my kamma/actions, related through my kamma/actions, and have my kamma/actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir."

"There are beings who conduct themselves in a bad way in body... in speech... and in mind. But when they often reflect on that fact, that bad conduct in body, speech, and mind will either be entirely abandoned or grow weaker..."

"When he/she often reflects on this, the [factors of the] path take birth. He/she sticks with that path, develops it, cultivates it. As he/she sticks with that path, develops it and cultivates it, the fetters are abandoned, the obsessions destroyed."

[From AN 5.57 Upajjhatthana Sutta: Subjects for Contemplation]
starter

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion