Are we allow to reveal one as non or once returner?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ordinaryperson

Are we allow to reveal one as non or once returner?

Post by Ordinaryperson »

Bhantes and All,

Are we allow or is it appropriate to reveal one who is a non or once returner? I mean the person will either take one more rebirth in human realm or higher realm? I am not sure why I ask this question.

Not me by the way as I am not even there yet.

:anjali:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~
floating_abu

Re: Are we allow to reveal one as non or once returner?

Post by floating_abu »

Dear Ordinary

My own opinion is - beside the question of what use such information could be, and how much it can be open for abuse, there is the fundamental issue here of privacy and basic respect for another person.

For example, I don't have to go around telling people you are a Buddhist or a master cat groomer, and that type of information is not really relevant to anyone else, nor is it necessarily appropriate.

It is the same here.

I would be careful about the guiding categories offered in the texts, and that it is better or perhaps easier to maintain some normalcy in how you view people and their lives.

There are enough Buddhist Masters across the lineages for there to be some guidance across the tradition. And in my own opinion practice is far more fruitful than conjecture about any person's understanding, or lack thereof. The texts are complete.

Best wishes,

Abu
Ordinaryperson

Re: Are we allow to reveal one as non or once returner?

Post by Ordinaryperson »

The matter is now closed.

Thanks for your reply.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
~Actively trying to destroy the Three Unwholesome Roots of Greed, Hatred and Ignorance~
~ Greed is the greatest danger of them all ~