Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby steve19800 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello guys,

I have few questions regarding above Paritta. It seems like there are several versions of those Paritta.

The first version Jaya Manggala:

Bahum sahassa' mabhinimmita savudhantam
Girime khalam uditaghora sasena maram
Danadi dhamma vidhina jitava Munindo
Tam tejasa bhavatu me jayamangalani (read jaya manggal'aggang)

So the second paragraph and so on, all read jaya manggal'aggang. The second version is read jayamangalani.

Jaya Paritta:

First version starts with:
Siri ditimati tejo
Jaya siddhi mahiddhi maha gunam .......and so on

Second version starts with:
Mahakaruniko natho hitaya sabbapaninam
Puretva parami subba patto sambodhimuttamam
Etena saccavajjena hotu me jayamangalam .....and so on

Can someone senior here please tell me why is that different? And which one to follow? Appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:29 pm

They are different texts, I am not sure of the source as I have never looked them up in the pali canon, or other pali texts but they are not the same.
one or both may be a devotional hymn writen by a royal of Thailand? [EDIT - just had a look at some files I have and these do not have the origin of these except that they are traditional chants.]
so it is a case of following the one being used.

steve19800 wrote:Hello guys,

I have few questions regarding above Paritta. It seems like there are several versions of those Paritta.

The first version Jaya Manggala:

Bahum sahassa' mabhinimmita savudhantam
Girime khalam uditaghora sasena maram
Danadi dhamma vidhina jitava Munindo
Tam tejasa bhavatu me jayamangalani (read jaya manggal'aggang)

So the second paragraph and so on, all read jaya manggal'aggang. The second version is read jayamangalani.

Jaya Paritta:

First version starts with:
Siri ditimati tejo
Jaya siddhi mahiddhi maha gunam .......and so on

Second version starts with:
Mahakaruniko natho hitaya sabbapaninam
Puretva parami subba patto sambodhimuttamam
Etena saccavajjena hotu me jayamangalam .....and so on

Can someone senior here please tell me why is that different? And which one to follow? Appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby steve19800 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Cittasanto wrote:They are different texts, I am not sure of the source as I have never looked them up in the pali canon, or other pali texts but they are not the same.
one or both may be a devotional hymn writen by a royal of Thailand? [EDIT - just had a look at some files I have and these do not have the origin of these except that they are traditional chants.]
so it is a case of following the one being used.


Thanks Cittasanto.
Which text is the one being used in general Theravadin? Thanks.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi Steve,

As Cittasanto says, it's a chant written a few hundred years ago, a summary of stories, mostly from suttas, rather than quotations from suttas (many of the chants are basically sutta quotes strung together with a bit of connecting Pali).
I discussed it in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11333
I'm not sure what the significance is of the slight difference in the first verse in some versions:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... buddhajaya
Tan-tejasā bhavatu te jaya-maṅgalāni
[Tan-tejasā bhavatu te jaya-maṅgal'aggaṃ].

By the power of this, may you have victory blessings.
[By the power of this, may you have the highest victory blessing.]

At my local Wat we end each verse with maṅgalāni. Perhaps it's just laziness that we don't have the variation.

I hope someone knowledgeable in Pali and such chants will drop in and explain the difference, but I would say that generally with chanting the important thing is to fit in with the people you are chanting with (if any).

:anjali:
Mike
User avatar
mikenz66
 
Posts: 9608
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby steve19800 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:43 am

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Steve,

As Cittasanto says, it's a chant written a few hundred years ago, a summary of stories, mostly from suttas, rather than quotations from suttas (many of the chants are basically sutta quotes strung together with a bit of connecting Pali).
I discussed it in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11333
I'm not sure what the significance is of the slight difference in the first verse in some versions:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... buddhajaya
Tan-tejasā bhavatu te jaya-maṅgalāni
[Tan-tejasā bhavatu te jaya-maṅgal'aggaṃ].

By the power of this, may you have victory blessings.
[By the power of this, may you have the highest victory blessing.]

At my local Wat we end each verse with maṅgalāni. Perhaps it's just laziness that we don't have the variation.

I hope someone knowledgeable in Pali and such chants will drop in and explain the difference, but I would say that generally with chanting the important thing is to fit in with the people you are chanting with (if any).

:anjali:
Mike


Thanks Mike.
It would be interesting to know the derivation of those versions.

In the meantime have a look at this Jaya Paritta?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJXZEPnpnY

And I just found out Jaya Paritta the same as accesstoinsight plus another additional paragraph.

Mahakaruniko natho hitaya sabbapaninam
Puretva parami subba patto sambodhimuttamam
Etena saccavajjena hotu me jayamangalam
Jayanto bodhiya mule sakyanam nandivaddhano
Evam tavam vijayo hohi Jayassu jayamangale
Aparajitapallanke sise pathavipokkh
Abhiseke sabbabuddhanam aggappatto pamodati
Sunakkkhattam Sumangalam Supabbhatam suhatthitam
Sukhano sumuhutto ca suyittham brahmacarisu
Padakkhinam kayakammam vacakammam padakkhinam
Pakakkhinam manokammam panidhi te padakkhina
Padakkhinani Katvana labhantatthe padakkhine

Bhavatu sabba mangalam rakkhuntu sabba devata
Sabba Buddhanu bhavena sada sotthi bhavantu me
Bhavatu sabba mangalam rakkhuntu sabba devata
Sabba Dhammanu bhavena sada sotthi bhavantu me
Bhavatu sabba mangalam rakkhuntu sabba devata
Sabba Sanghanu bhavena sada sotthi bhavantu me
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:23 am

Hi Steve,

We also chant that. The additional part, which we follow from the Jaya Paritta, is listed as a separate chant http://thebuddhisttemple.org/index.php? ... &Itemid=73 in my chanting book.
I can't remember what it is called in my book, something to do with blessings, I guess...
I don't believe it's from a sutta.

:anjali:
Mike
User avatar
mikenz66
 
Posts: 9608
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby steve19800 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 am

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Steve,

We also chant that. The additional part, which we follow from the Jaya Paritta, is listed as a separate chant http://thebuddhisttemple.org/index.php? ... &Itemid=73 in my chanting book.
I can't remember what it is called in my book, something to do with blessings, I guess...
I don't believe it's from a sutta.

:anjali:
Mike


Hi Mike,

I'm assuming the temple you usually go is of Thailand tradition?
This Paritta above I got from Thai Buddhist temple also, but doubt arises in me as which one to follow, I'm glad I'm not the only one :).
Coming from East Asian Buddhism tradition, this is the reason I'm looking for the most closest tradition to Buddha's teachings.

The monk who created accesstoinsight also from Thai tradition I believe, but they chant Jayamanggal' aggam instead of Jaya manggalani and there is no additional paragraph for the Jaya Paritta. So even within a tradition there is still another 'tradition', I guess.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:28 am

Hi Steve, Yes, it is Thai.

I think that, since those particular chants are not directly from suttas, minor variations are not really an issue. And even suttas (and of course pronunciation and rhythm of Pali) vary around SE Asian.

On the other hand, this chant:
Itipi so bhagavā arahaṃ sammā-sambuddho, ...
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... l#dhajagga
is straight out of suttas. And the morning and evening chants are sutta extracts stuck together with some extra stuff for continuity:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#morning

:anjali:
Mike
User avatar
mikenz66
 
Posts: 9608
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:14 am

hi Steve,
I am not sure about other area customs to do with these chants, but knowing or at least being familiar with both wouldn't hurt for the purpose of chanting.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
User avatar
Cittasanto
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:31 pm
Location: Ellan Vannin

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby steve19800 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:21 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Steve,

At my local Wat we end each verse with maṅgalāni. Perhaps it's just laziness that we don't have the variation.

I hope someone knowledgeable in Pali and such chants will drop in and explain the difference, but I would say that generally with chanting the important thing is to fit in with the people you are chanting with (if any).

:anjali:
Mike


Hi mikenz66,

Finally after some time I've got answer from one of Thai teacher. According to him Jaya Mangalani if you chant it for yourself/ alone and the other one when you chant in a group of people. While Siri ditimati tejo Jaya siddhi mahiddhi maha gunam is Maha Mangala Cakkavala NOT Jaya Paritta, usually chant by monks for blessing lay people.

Hope this will answer those who have similar question too. :D
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Jaya Manggala and Jaya Paritta

Postby Kusala » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 am

One of my favorite rendering of Jaya Manggala

Image

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
User avatar
Kusala
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:02 am


Return to General Theravāda discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 9 guests

cron