healing as a part of dhamma practice

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

healing as a part of dhamma practice

Postby befriend » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:10 am

hi everyone.
i think a lot of people in the world have emotional baggage. being bullied, having a parent leave, a love one die. i have been a meditator for a while now and making not so much progress. i started a healing practice and my well being and emotional health have drastically improved. im doing this by sending metta to parts of my body where i store tension. i think as westerners or any human sometimes there can be emotional blockages that if removed would aid our practice greatly. like they say in chinese medicine its like stagnant energy, so what is your stance on healing these emotional wounds as part of practice. i think it can only help us get us healthier and become more whole.
befriend

Re: healing as a part of dhamma practice

Postby Rui Sousa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 am

befriend wrote:hi everyone.
i think a lot of people in the world have emotional baggage. being bullied, having a parent leave, a love one die. i have been a meditator for a while now and making not so much progress. i started a healing practice and my well being and emotional health have drastically improved. im doing this by sending metta to parts of my body where i store tension. i think as westerners or any human sometimes there can be emotional blockages that if removed would aid our practice greatly. like they say in chinese medicine its like stagnant energy, so what is your stance on healing these emotional wounds as part of practice. i think it can only help us get us healthier and become more whole.

Hi befriend,

I believe Metta is a good practice for developing good will, and move our mind away from stressful, unpleasant thoughts.

Also, if you follow the traditional sequence in Metta meditation (Direct Meta to yourself, then to leved ones, then to people you have neutral felling, then to people you feel anger) it will do much good to the way you see the outside world, and how you relate to people.

A lot of that baggage can be left to rest, if you develop good will and friendship towards others, rising above their evil actions.
With Metta
Rui Sousa

Re: healing as a part of dhamma practice

Postby manas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 am

Hi befriend,

I agree that healing one's body-and-mind can be integrated into Dhamma practice. I had posted a reply here, but later decided it would be better sent as a PM.

manas :anjali:
manas

Return to General Theravāda discussion