Buddhism as a "rational" religion.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sshai45

Buddhism as a "rational" religion.

Post by sshai45 »

Hi.

I'm wondering about this. How is it that Buddhism can claim itself to be a more "rational" religion? Some seem to make this claim because it includes "atheism" -- it doesn't believe in a God. Yet it has no problem accepting many concepts that would be considered by a scientist and rationalist to just as laughable as theism -- karma, rebirth, the Buddhaverse, magic, etc. What gives?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Buddhism as a "rational" religion.

Post by DNS »

"Buddhism" doesn't claim anything. :tongue: Some Buddhists might make the claim, but certainly not all.

Magic? See:

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Astrology: http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sshai45

Post by sshai45 »

David N. Snyder wrote:"Buddhism" doesn't claim anything. :tongue: Some Buddhists might make the claim, but certainly not all.

Magic? See:

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yet I've heard claims like the one mentioned in the title, and I've also heard a lot about the "rational" approach to things within Buddhism. Consider, e.g., this thread:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 29&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Primitive man found himself in a dangerous and hostile world, the fear of wild animals, of not being able to find enough food, of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes was constantly with him. Finding no security, he created the idea of gods in order to give him comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong. To this day, you will notice that people become more religious at times of crises, you will hear them say that the belief in a god or gods gives them the strength they need to deal with life. You will hear them explain that they believe in a particular god because they prayed in time of need and their prayer was answered. All this seems to support the Buddha’s teaching that the god-idea is a response to fear and frustration. The Buddha taught us to try to understand our fears, to lessen our desires and to calmly and courageously accept the things we cannot change. He replaced fear, not with irrational belief but with rational understanding.
If it is not rational to accept the idea of a God, how is it rational to accept rebirth, or the Buddhaverse (Gasp!)?

About magic, Buddhism definitely accepts "psychic powers" as real, something that science unquestionably rejects and for which all attempts to seek out evidence have turned up absolutely nothing withstood rigorous scrutiny. Some may call "psychic powers" a form of "magic" -- I've seen it before.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Buddhaverse?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tiltbillings wrote:Buddhaverse?
I had to google it.
http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/~lgardi/h ... verse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently a Mahayana concept?

Don't blame us, we're Theravadins. :tongue:
sshai45

Post by sshai45 »

"Buddhaverse" is a term I use to refer to "the universe, as conceived of in the Buddhist Cosmology".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cosmology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

sshai45 wrote:"Buddhaverse" is a term I use to refer to "the universe, as conceived of in the Buddhist Cosmology".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cosmology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That'd more appropriately be the six sense spheres, i.e. 'the world'. Anything else is quite beside the point.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

sshai45 wrote:"Buddhaverse" is a term I use to refer to "the universe, as conceived of in the Buddhist Cosmology".

Yes, well, it is more or less the cosmology of the time, to which the Buddha applied his understanding, that is, the universe is something that functions in terms of interdependent conditionality, and there is no singular thingie in it that is uncaused and changing that acts upon the universe. To do justice to the Buddha's teachings one need not take stuff such as that cosmology literally; rather, one needs to understand the underlying principles of interdependent causality.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

sshai45 wrote:....How is it that Buddhism can claim itself to be a more "rational" religion?...
Maybe some of it is because of what the Dalai Lama said:
My confidence in venturing in science lies in my belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.
Dalai Lama XIV, The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality.
He's not Theravadan, but he has become one of the spokesmen for Buddhism in the west.

Also I think a lot of the impression that it is a more "rational" religion comes from a very flexible interpretation of the Kalama Sutta
The criterion for acceptance
"Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.
In the western world especially, some people have taken that as support for a rationalist, scientific materialist position... which is perhaps going too far.
But, saying that, I personally like to err on the side of skepticism, and stay away from magic and stuff that does not fit with my pre-existing scientific worldview. Buddhism works fine for me like that.
I believe in rebirth because of the data presented by Ian Stevenson, I believe in karma because I can see it works at the mundane non-magical level of psychology, and I believe in the practical side of Buddhism, how to live life. Plus meditation rocks.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

sshai45 wrote:Hi.

I'm wondering about this. How is it that Buddhism can claim itself to be a more "rational" religion? Some seem to make this claim because it includes "atheism" -- it doesn't believe in a God. Yet it has no problem accepting many concepts that would be considered by a scientist and rationalist to just as laughable as theism -- karma, rebirth, the Buddhaverse, magic, etc. What gives?
Buddhism's claim to be more rational is relative to the claims of other religions.

Factual claims of theistic religions are central to the religion but are totally wrong. Factual claims of Buddhism are not central to Buddhism. Where they are shown to be wrong ( eg Mt Sumeru), they are not relevant to the core message.

Buddhist doctrine does not claim to be handed down by a god which one must believe or suffer dire consequences. It is a set of instructions taught by the Buddha to achieve a goal - the cessation of suffering. Disbelief of any of the Buddhist teachings ( such as karma, etc) per se, has no consequences.

The focus of theistic religions is an omnipotent god and events claimed to be of great significance. None of this is supported by evidence or rational thought. The focus of Buddhism , the 4 noble Truths, is a philosophical concept that can be supported by rational argument.

After-life Doctrines of theistic religions are not supported by any evidence and can be demonstrated to be unjust and irrational. Reincarnation or Rebirth is the only after-life theory that is supported by some scientifically gathered evidence.

Theistic claims of salvation actively goes against the known laws of the universe (original sin, soul, eternal life, etc). Buddhist methods of salvation or liberation is based on an observation of universal laws and then negotiating them sucessfully.
greggorious

Post by greggorious »

Science doesn't reject Karma, re-birth, or even God. MATERIALISM rejects these things, not science.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
JBG

Post by JBG »

Rational practice, irrational results.
Way~Farer

Post by Way~Farer »

Rationality is highly over-rated, IMO. Given that the world exists, and we're in it, we can discover all manner of useful things by rational means - no question about that. But when it comes to the big questions of religion and philosophy, reason has limited usefulness. What we feel intuitively is of great importance when it comes to questions of those kinds.

Consider the mainstream account of how humanity evolved. At the end of the day, this is held to happen for no reason, other than the fortuitous combination of material elements, and the urge to survive, which somehow is thought to have spontaneously developed out of that. Don't get me wrong, I am not for a minute advocating any kind of creationism. But the mainstream view is not particularly rational, insofar as it believes that things happen for no reason. This exact view is criticized in the Brahmajāla Sutta.
Herein, bhikkhus, a certain recluse or a brahmin is a rationalist, an investigator. He declares his view — hammered out by reason, deduced from his investigations, following his own flight of thought — thus: 'The self and the world originate fortuitously.'
from Access to Insight.

In fact, the materialist view of the Universe (which is held to be the mainstream by many people) is that everything we see is the result of material forces and that everything will eventually return to that. Why this is called 'rational' beats me.
Ben

Post by Ben »

sunyavadin wrote:Rationality is highly over-rated, IMO. Given that the world exists, and we're in it, we can discover all manner of useful things by rational means - no question about that. But when it comes to the big questions of religion and philosophy, reason has limited usefulness. What we feel intuitively is of great importance when it comes to questions of those kinds.

Consider the mainstream account of how humanity evolved. At the end of the day, this is held to happen for no reason, other than the fortuitous combination of material elements, and the urge to survive, which somehow is thought to have spontaneously developed out of that. Don't get me wrong, I am not for a minute advocating any kind of creationism. But the mainstream view is not particularly rational, insofar as it believes that things happen for no reason. This exact view is criticized in the Brahmajāla Sutta.
Herein, bhikkhus, a certain recluse or a brahmin is a rationalist, an investigator. He declares his view — hammered out by reason, deduced from his investigations, following his own flight of thought — thus: 'The self and the world originate fortuitously.'
from Access to Insight.

In fact, the materialist view of the Universe (which is held to be the mainstream by many people) is that everything we see is the result of material forces and that everything will eventually return to that. Why this is called 'rational' beats me.
Why should there be a reason that life evolved the way it did?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:
sunyavadin wrote:Rationality is highly over-rated, IMO. Given that the world exists, and we're in it, we can discover all manner of useful things by rational means - no question about that. But when it comes to the big questions of religion and philosophy, reason has limited usefulness. What we feel intuitively is of great importance when it comes to questions of those kinds.

from Access to Insight.

Why should there be a reason that life evolved the way it did?
  • "What are we to make of a creation in which the routine activity
    is for organisms to be tearing others apart with teeth of all types-
    biting, grinding flesh, plant stalks, bones between molars, pushing the
    pulp down the gullet with delight, incorporating its essence into one's
    own organization, and then excreting with foul stench and gasses the
    residue. Everyone reaching out to incorporate others who are edible to
    him. The mosquitoes bloating themselves on blood, the maggots, the
    killer-bees attacking with a fury and a demonism, sharks continuing to
    tear and swallow while their own innards are being torn out-not to
    mention the daily dismemberment and slaughter in "natural" accidents
    of all types: an earthquake buries alive seventy thousand bodies in Peru,
    automobiles make a pyramid heap of over fifty thousand a year in the
    U.S. alone, a tidal wave washes over a quarter of a million in the
    Indian Ocean. Creation is a nightmare spectacular taking place on a
    planet that has been soaked for hundreds of millions of years in the
    blood of all its creatures. The soberest conclusion that we could make
    about what has actually been taking place on the planet for about three
    billion years is that it is being turned into a vast pit of fertilizer. But the
    sun distracts our attention, always baking the blood dry, making things
    grow over it, and with its warmth giving the hope that comes with the
    organism's comfort and expansiveness." "

--Ernst Becker THE DENIAL OF DEATH 1975, p. 282-283