Is there a extra benefit for those who reach it fast.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Is there a extra benefit for those who reach it fast.

Postby villkorkarma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

If i reach full awakening 10 level of nirvana when i am 30 and then i cant die until iam 84 yers old
and another who reach the 10 level when his 80 and dies when he is like 86...
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Re: Is there a extra benefit for those who reach it fast.

Postby bodom » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes the first has saved himself 50+ years of suffering.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:00 pm

bodom wrote:Yes the first has saved himself 50+ years of suffering.

:anjali:

:clap:

Excellent answer!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby reflection » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Maybe public transport discount or something.
reflection

Postby villkorkarma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm

okay hehe
but still
the person b goes to heaven directly after the goal is in goal but the other one still 60 years on earth
and maybe person b has a lot of good memories of example of girls he has been with but the other one hasnt
villkorkarma

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 pm

villkorkarma wrote:and maybe person b has a lot of good memories of example of girls he has been with but the other one hasnt

I think you have the wrong idea about enlightenment. An arahant is fully enlightened; the enlightenment and wisdom is the same. So the only advantage as bodom noted is that there is less suffering by acquiring enlightenment earlier. The arahant has no pleasure in "remembering girls" -- he/she has gone beyond the pursuit of sense pleasures and has in fact completely eradicated desires of the senses.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby reflection » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Apart from that, 'level 10 enlightenment' and 'going to heaven' after enlightenment are things that are new to me.. You might want to check that out. But ok.

Main thing is, enlightenment is not a thing you get, or reach. It's about all the other things you loose. Some people have very heavy packs (of clinging) they are carying along. To empty those packs can take a while. Whether this takes 60 years or 2 days, doesn't really matter; you end up with the same; an empty pack. It's not like one has more benefit than the other.

But other people may benefit from it. If some enlightened teacher still lives for a long time, he has a long time to teach, like the Buddha for example. But it's not like it would have mattered to the Buddha himself if he would have reached 40 instead of 80. (or what was it again?)
reflection

Postby villkorkarma » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:33 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
villkorkarma wrote:and maybe person b has a lot of good memories of example of girls he has been with but the other one hasnt

I think you have the wrong idea about enlightenment. An arahant is fully enlightened; the enlightenment and wisdom is the same. So the only advantage as bodom noted is that there is less suffering by acquiring enlightenment earlier. The arahant has no pleasure in "remembering girls" -- he/she has gone beyond the pursuit of sense pleasures and has in fact completely eradicated desires of the senses.

eradicated the desires of the senses, oh it seems nice ...........
villkorkarma

Return to General Theravāda discussion