Is there a extra benefit for those who reach it fast.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Is there a extra benefit for those who reach it fast.

Post by villkorkarma »

If i reach full awakening 10 level of nirvana when i am 30 and then i cant die until iam 84 yers old
and another who reach the 10 level when his 80 and dies when he is like 86...
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
bodom

Re: Is there a extra benefit for those who reach it fast.

Post by bodom »

Yes the first has saved himself 50+ years of suffering.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

bodom wrote:Yes the first has saved himself 50+ years of suffering.

:anjali:
:clap:

Excellent answer!
reflection

Post by reflection »

Maybe public transport discount or something.
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

okay hehe
but still
the person b goes to heaven directly after the goal is in goal but the other one still 60 years on earth
and maybe person b has a lot of good memories of example of girls he has been with but the other one hasnt
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

villkorkarma wrote: and maybe person b has a lot of good memories of example of girls he has been with but the other one hasnt
I think you have the wrong idea about enlightenment. An arahant is fully enlightened; the enlightenment and wisdom is the same. So the only advantage as bodom noted is that there is less suffering by acquiring enlightenment earlier. The arahant has no pleasure in "remembering girls" -- he/she has gone beyond the pursuit of sense pleasures and has in fact completely eradicated desires of the senses.
reflection

Post by reflection »

Apart from that, 'level 10 enlightenment' and 'going to heaven' after enlightenment are things that are new to me.. You might want to check that out. But ok.

Main thing is, enlightenment is not a thing you get, or reach. It's about all the other things you loose. Some people have very heavy packs (of clinging) they are carying along. To empty those packs can take a while. Whether this takes 60 years or 2 days, doesn't really matter; you end up with the same; an empty pack. It's not like one has more benefit than the other.

But other people may benefit from it. If some enlightened teacher still lives for a long time, he has a long time to teach, like the Buddha for example. But it's not like it would have mattered to the Buddha himself if he would have reached 40 instead of 80. (or what was it again?)
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

David N. Snyder wrote:
villkorkarma wrote: and maybe person b has a lot of good memories of example of girls he has been with but the other one hasnt
I think you have the wrong idea about enlightenment. An arahant is fully enlightened; the enlightenment and wisdom is the same. So the only advantage as bodom noted is that there is less suffering by acquiring enlightenment earlier. The arahant has no pleasure in "remembering girls" -- he/she has gone beyond the pursuit of sense pleasures and has in fact completely eradicated desires of the senses.
eradicated the desires of the senses, oh it seems nice ...........