Going to Thailand in December...any advice?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
appicchato

Re: Going to Thailand in December...any advice?

Post by appicchato »

Many people there speak and understand English...
Mmm...'many' being a relative term, (and while this is not big on the grand scale of things) I have to say this is not the case...anywhere outside any of the major tourist centers literally (next to) no Thai has even a basic command of the English language...

Love Thailand, and the Thai people (been here more than 30 years), but that's the reality (in my experience)...

The suggestion to learn some Thai is good...and a (good) phrase book is mandatory...

Be well...
Last edited by appicchato on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

If you wish to decompress a bit from the big city noise, towering highrises and fumes of Bangkok, spend a few days in Chiang Mai. CM is a lovely mid sized city, with a deep Wat history and many beautiful city and forest Wats, as well as nice city center hotels and outlying high end resorts and spas. The Tha Phae Gate area (old city center) and nearby Loi Kroh markets at night are active with world tourists, and if you want to just relax and mingle with farang for a while, watch football on the big screen and sit outside cafe style and watch people go by, the ex pat fav "John's Place" near the Tha Phae gate is great. Many Thais have told me that they go to CM to get away from BKK on weekend visits. Chiang Mai is also a starting point if you wish to venture north to the nearby elephant camps and other activities found in the flora and fauna of beautiful northern Thailand.

This description is just a snapshot and my brief comments here do not do Chiang Mai and the region justice.

This video was produced by a Christian school in Thailand and you'll get some hymn singing at the end of the package (not often found on DhammaWheel :) ), but it's a nice videotour of the area, with a quick shot of a local Wat at :40 :
http://youtu.be/XKB85hJbSxQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beautiful Breath

Post by Beautiful Breath »

Thanks all for your advice. Currently booked into a plush hotel (why not eh?) for a couple of nights in Bangkok. Then a family run guest house, much more Thai...then possibly Chiang Mai.

BB...
Sutiro

Post by Sutiro »

If you are interested in Buddhism then it will be worth your while to go to Ubon Ratchatani. From there you can visit Wat Bah Pong, and Loom Por Chah's mausoleum. Not far from there is Wat Bah Nanachaht, the monastery he established for Westerners. You can marvel at the tranquility, admire the architecture and maybe change your life. It changed mine.

Karuna