I not understand

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Caraka
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

I not understand

Postby Caraka » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 am

""[1] The ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch. The fact that the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sharp drop-off not just after a stretch:[1] This is the first amazing and astounding fact about the ocean that, as they see it again and again, has the Asuras greatly pleased with the ocean."

I can't see the picture. What is a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, and I have never seen the ocean do a sharp drop-off?

When I see the ocean it is just water, like water in a jar. E.g. there is no sudden drop-off.

Masauwu
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: I not understand

Postby Masauwu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Caraka,

Maybe this will help.

Caraka

Postby Caraka » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Thank you. You helped me. :thanks:

Now I only have to figure out the drop-off ..

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Caraka wrote:""[1] The ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch. The fact that the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sharp drop-off not just after a stretch:[1] This is the first amazing and astounding fact about the ocean that, as they see it again and again, has the Asuras greatly pleased with the ocean."

I can't see the picture. What is a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, and I have never seen the ocean do a sharp drop-off?

When I see the ocean it is just water, like water in a jar. E.g. there is no sudden drop-off.

Oral literature uses repetition of words with the same meaning to emphasize a point not that they each specifically point to similar but separate things, the suttas use three usually, although the Abhidhamma uses seven.
so when the text you quote says "a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination," this is referring to the continental shelf in the above linked image, with the sudden drop off being the continental slope in the picture, not that the slope in both are the same thing.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 am

Greetings Caraka,

It is referring to the ground below the ocean, and the subsequent depth of the ocean as bounded by sky and ocean-floor.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Caraka

Postby Caraka » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I see the picture. Thank you. :namaste:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”