Finally pinned it down...

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Finally pinned it down...

Postby Beautiful Breath » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 am

Hi all,

I don't know whether you recall some of my previous posts - effectively a confusion about where my affiliations fall (Theravada or Tibetan systems).

Anyway, the difficulty has always been articulating my confusions...I think I have got a little closer.

When I read Nargajuna or comentaries on the Heart Sutra my faith soars. I get a sense of deep understanding of Emptiness, believe me its palpable!

However, when I look at the practices in the Tibetan Schools, the complex Vajrayana pujas (of which I was Empowered to practice over two decades ago and was indeed an ardent student) I back off. Too much.

When I read some of the Suttas I don't feel the power and inspiration I do when reading the Mahayana texts.

However, when I look at the Theravadin practices I feel a strong resonance. Simple Samatha, Vipassana or especially Anapanasati are much more in-line with my current needs.

Can you see my quandary? Its not just a case of reading the Heart Sutra and practicing Vipassana - they both come with baggage that seem to be an inherent part of both schools.

Sorry if I am banging on the same door....but this is a massive part of my life and has been for a while.

Thanks for any input...! :namaste:
Beautiful Breath

Re: Finally pinned it down...

Postby Nyana » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:16 am

Beautiful Breath wrote:However, when I look at the Theravadin practices I feel a strong resonance. Simple Samatha, Vipassana or especially Anapanasati are much more in-line with my current needs.

Then from a pragmatic perspective, this is a good thing to know, and you can practice accordingly.

Plus, there's nothing saying that you can't still draw some inspiration from the Heart Sūtra, etc.
Nyana

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Why you have to choose one over the other?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Buckwheat wrote:Why you have to choose one over the other?
You don't. The Heart Sutra is a practice text that is mostly compatible with vipassana practice.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby manas » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm

sorry, BB, got rid of what I wrote before here

the only possibly useful thing I can add to the good advice already given, is to investigate things for yourself. Test the validity of sutras, test the validity of suttas. Find out if they help you to greater calm & clarity.

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
manas

Postby Goofaholix » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:05 pm

If you re-read your post you might notice you are basing your assessment on these approaches based on how they make you feel.

Sometimes feeling is all you have to go on but one thing that practise teaches us is that feelings come and go according to causes and conditions and are not a reliable guide, thought is the same in this respect.

Ultimately you don't have to choose, make the most of any opportunity to learn even if it comes from an off-brand source.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Beautiful Breath » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks all...its an ongoing thing for me. Possibly irreconcilable!

BB...
Beautiful Breath

Return to General Theravāda discussion