The Buddha as "one who knows" in Thai tradition

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: The Buddha as "one who knows" in Thai tradition

Postby Sutiro » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:42 pm

' Poo Hoo bor wah, Poo wah bor hoo' is a saying Loom Por Chah would often use in Lao, which was his native language. I'll put the translation underneath.
'The One who Knows doesn't say. The one who says, doesn't know.'

Sutiro
Sutiro

Postby Mr Man » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:28 am

Cittasanto wrote:Ajahn Sumedho uses this "one who knows" quite a lot and I believe he uses it in the same context of other Thai Ajahns, and I understood it to mean the "knowing of what is" everyone has, such as "their is pain" similar to noting in Mahasi circles.

I think you have misunderstood.
Mr Man

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 am

Mr Man wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:Ajahn Sumedho uses this "one who knows" quite a lot and I believe he uses it in the same context of other Thai Ajahns, and I understood it to mean the "knowing of what is" everyone has, such as "their is pain" similar to noting in Mahasi circles.

care to elaborate?
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Mr Man » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:

care to elaborate?

When the noting commences, one has moved away from the knowing,
Mr Man

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:43 pm

I did say similar not the same as. I was pointing to a similar level of cognition.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Sutiro » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 pm

To learn more about Poo Roo, or Poo Hoo and how Loom Por taught it have a good read of his "Collected Teachings". I fortunately had first hand experience with him. It really isn't so complicated and no need to think about it too much. It is a platform, an observation point in our meditation reached when sati (mindfulness of mind) and sampajanna (mindfulness of body) come together as total awareness from where you can watch the whole performance of mind.

Sutiro
Sutiro

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion