Buddadassa Bikkhu

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
greggorious

Buddadassa Bikkhu

Post by greggorious »

I want to find out more about him. Does he have any books out? I've read a little bit about him and have been blown away. In fact I feel like I'm being drawn to the thai tradition. Ajahn chah I really like too. Some of the philosophies are almost Zen, that's just my interpretation anyway.
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
LonesomeYogurt

Re: Buddadassa Bikkhu

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

He is my main inspiration. Such an incredibly wise teacher.

Try Mindfulness with Breathing: A Guide for Serious Beginners. It is his masterpiece, I'd say.

This might also be helpful.

This talk is a great as well.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree by Buddhadasa which deals with the topic of emptiness or sunyata is one of my favorite Dhamma books and is also available at the links given above.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sutiro

Post by Sutiro »

Hello Bodom

Though you have quoted Ajahn Buddhadassa as advocating the search for Dhamma in your heart, which is of course what Buddhism is all about, he was very academic and a learned scholar. He was responsible for translating a lot of the morning and evening chanting into the Thai language. So in many Thai Wats across the country they chant a line of Pali and then the Thai translation of it. Thanks to Ajahn Buddhadassa the chanting takes twice as long!! He was also famous for having a female mannequin clad in a bikini with fish hooks all over her body, an interesting metaphor don't you think? He was a great Ajahn in a great era for Thailand, and a contemporary of Loom Por Chah whom he used to visit.

Karuna
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

greggorious wrote:I want to find out more about him. Does he have any books out? I've read a little bit about him and have been blown away. In fact I feel like I'm being drawn to the thai tradition. Ajahn chah I really like too. Some of the philosophies are almost Zen, that's just my interpretation anyway.
Here are another 2 links, Greg.

Handbook for Mankind

http://www.buddhanet.net/budasa.htm

Two Kinds of Language

http://dhammatalks.net/Books5/Bhikkhu_B ... nguage.htm

with kind wishes

Aloka
amtross

Post by amtross »

My teacher was a student of his. From her stories, it sounds like he was quite a character. He used to always use the term Nibbana in everyday situations to drive home the point that it simply means "extinguish": "Nibbana that fire", he would say. :tongue:
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Teaching Dhamma by Pictures here on DW and:

Transcription as pdf on doc.google.com (just view or download): Teaching Dhamma by Pictures

also a German translation of it (incl. links for detail word explanations / not finally prooreaded => thanks if somebody responses on mistakes): Dhamma lehren mit Bildern

Many of his literature is rather attached to the world or let me say political. There are some more books in german as well as in english: on theravada-dhamma.org

In the blog of theravadha-dhamma.org you find also a lot of essays.

Come back, Siladhamma, come back!
A monstrous danger is building up
for all beings scattered throughout the universe:
the enormous destruction is frightening.

In the world a dark era has appeared, so
crazy about material things, not just by chance
having a good old time with powerful things.

Evil encroaches until hopes are gone.
Hurry back before it’s too late
to save the world in the nick of time.

Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Here is the website of the newly opened Buddhadasa Indapanno Archives (BIA) or Suan Mokkh Bangkok center:

http://bia.or.th/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

http://www.bangkok101.com/letters-from-buddhadasa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako »

LIVING IN THE PRESENT without past, without future (new revised edition)

Bhaddekaratta sutta

by Buddhadasa

http://www.bia.or.th/en/index.php/2013- ... sa-bhikkhu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako