Dhamma Giving

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
texasguy87
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Dhamma Giving

Postby texasguy87 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:17 am

What are some ways to give Dhamma without making it seem like proselytizing?

Hanzze

Re: Dhamma Giving

Postby Hanzze » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:26 am

By living according it.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_

texasguy87

Postby texasguy87 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:37 am

Hanzze wrote:By living according it.

Ha! Good answer! Very simple and truthful. But, I was wondering of some more active ways.

I do annadanam pretty regularly. I put vegetarian food in a brown bag and pass them out to homeless people on the streets. I was thinking about slipping a piece of paper with some "basic dhamma." Any suggestions?

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:44 am

But, I was wondering of some more active ways.

You mean beside just act in accordiance to the dhamma, maybe hidden?

Maybe no more using "but" when a thought back to the old arises. Giving is not easy giving if there is any "but".
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Ben
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:48 am

texasguy87 wrote:
Hanzze wrote:By living according it.

Ha! Good answer! Very simple and truthful. But, I was wondering of some more active ways.

I do annadanam pretty regularly. I put vegetarian food in a brown bag and pass them out to homeless people on the streets. I was thinking about slipping a piece of paper with some "basic dhamma." Any suggestions?

Don't. If you've ever been to one of the Hari Krishna "free" restaurants you'll understand.
If you give food then give without expecting anything in return, not even an interest in what motivates you to give nor an interest in the Dhamma.
Just give. And live an exemplary life. In my very humble experience, living a life of example doesn't just speak it shouts.
In time if you are involved in a meditation centre or monastery there may be opportunities to be involved in activities to support the propagation of the sasana.
Until then, just relax and continue with your practice.
with metta,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com

pilgrim
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby pilgrim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:44 am

texasguy87 wrote:Ha! Good answer! Very simple and truthful. But, I was wondering of some more active ways.

I think that's excellent. Food for the stomach removes pain for a few hours but food for the mind removes suffering again and again. I don't understand how a Buddhist who benefits from the Dhamma can discourage others from sharing it with others. Its not for nothing that the Buddha said "sabba danam dhamma danam jinati".

texasguy87

Postby texasguy87 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:51 am

pilgrim wrote:
I think that's excellent. Food for the stomach removes pain for a few hours but food for the mind removes suffering again and again. I don't understand how a Buddhist who benefits from the Dhamma can discourage others from sharing it with others. Its not for nothing that the Buddha said "sabba danam dhamma danam jinati".

That's what has made me start to think about doing this. The gift is Dhamma is the best gift.

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 am

pilgrim wrote:
texasguy87 wrote:Ha! Good answer! Very simple and truthful. But, I was wondering of some more active ways.

Pilgrim,

Because this sentence was said to Arahants (some who are knowing what they are doing and talking about, so no danger of giving Adhamma or Dhamma on a wrong occation) and secound because its is very near to animal business (collecting attention with drugs).

One who is hungry for food, does not look at the bag at all, he simply trows it away and one who would have a lot of mindfulness and even looks what is in the bag and even give it a look would not easy need the support of somebody trying it with a kind of trickiness.
Not to think about the disrespect which could wrongly (?) dedected when wasting paper or better paper that transpotes Dhamma.
Paper needs a lot of trees and some words and attention even transports much more and does not need much support (taking). That all does not mean that it is not usefull to share books at the right time and the right place.

That is at all a very missionary kind of action, like many would criticise amoung other religions, not to speak about missionary it self.

As Ben said: Share food, is great. Share Dhamma is great. But its not good to share food (sensual pleasure) for attention or Dhamma with deflection caused by food (sensual pleasure). Its not only tricky but lowers the respect as well as the effect of well the Dhamma.
Just that! *smile*

santa100

Postby santa100 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Guess it depends on the kind of message on the piece of paper. If it's some deep philosophical analysis of the Teaching, then it's probably not a good idea. If it's some simple message that arouses a sense of kindness, compassion, and hope, then why not..

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 am

Santhàravaggo

Bhikkhus, these two are spreadings. What two? The material spread and the spread of the Teaching.

Of the two, the spread of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are friendly welcomes. What two? The material friendly welcome and the friendly welcome of the Teaching.

Of the two, the friendly welcome of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are desires. What two? The material desires and desires of the Teaching.

Of the two, desires of the Teaching are better.

Bhikkhus, these two are pursuits. What two? The material pursuit and the pursuit of the Teaching.

Of the two, the pursuit of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are searchings. What two? The material search and the search in the Teaching.

Of the two, the search in the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are offerings. What two? The offering of material and the offering of the Teaching. Of the two, the offering of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are fine thefts. What two? The material fine theft and the fine theft of the Teaching. Of the two, the fine theft of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are the potencies. What two? Material potency and the potency of the Teaching.

Of the two, the potency of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are growths. What two? Material growth and growth of the Teaching.

Of the two, growth of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are jewels. What two? The material jewel and the jewel of the Teaching.

Of the two, the jewel of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are accumulations. What two? The material accumulation and the accumulation of the Teaching.
Of the two, the accumulation of the Teaching is better.

Bhikkhus, these two are complete developments. What two?
The complete development of material and the complete development of the Teaching Of the two, the complete of the Teaching is better.
Just that! *smile*

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”