heart of meditation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

heart of meditation

Postby befriend » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 pm

ajahn chah seems to think that meditation is about watching liking and disliking pass, i forget if he says watching or just letting it pass, but someone can correct me. i recommend this, i had been studying buddhism for years before i ran across this pearl of wisdom.
befriend

Re: heart of meditation

Postby SarathW » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 am

Hi
When I meditate I try to analyse my thoughts to see whether it is originated due to attachment or aversion (anger). Then I come to the realisation that the attachment and anger is caused by the belief that there is a person called I exist within me. Then I remind myself that everything around me consist with five aggregate and they all subject to impermanence. This help me to tranquil my mind.
I hope this may help you.
SarathW

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:24 am

befriend wrote:ajahn chah seems to think that meditation is about watching liking and disliking pass, i forget if he says watching or just letting it pass, but someone can correct me. i recommend this, i had been studying buddhism for years before i ran across this pearl of wisdom.

Is this mindfulness of feeling? Watching pleasure and pain, liking and disliking arise and pass?
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby Hanzze » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:54 am

You might like this, it gives much dislikes as well: 108 Dhamma Similes by Ajahn Chah
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby befriend » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Buckwheat wrote:
befriend wrote:ajahn chah seems to think that meditation is about watching liking and disliking pass, i forget if he says watching or just letting it pass, but someone can correct me. i recommend this, i had been studying buddhism for years before i ran across this pearl of wisdom.

Is this mindfulness of feeling? Watching pleasure and pain, liking and disliking arise and pass?

i dont know sorry
befriend

Postby DAWN » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

To know a heart of meditation, we have to know the heart of our body.
In other words, after the breath, mind go to heart
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DAWN

Postby pegembara » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:17 am

"Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation."

You should know that that which is arising and passing away is only the activity of mind. When something arises, it passes away and is followed by further arising and passing away. In the Way of Dhamma we call this arising and passing away ''birth and death''; and this is everything - this is all there is! When suffering has arisen, it passes away, and, when it has passed away, suffering arises again. There's just suffering arising and passing away. When you see this much, you'll be able to know constantly this arising and passing away; and, when your knowing is constant, you'll see that this is really all there is. Everything is just birth and death. It's not as if there is anything which carries on. There's just this arising and passing away as it is - that's all.

This kind of seeing will give rise to a tranquil feeling of dispassion towards the world. Such a feeling arises when we see that actually there is nothing worth wanting; there is only arising and passing away, a being born followed by a dying. This is when the mind arrives at ''letting go'', letting everything go according to its own nature. Things arise and pass away in our mind, and we know. When happiness arises, we know; when dissatisfaction arises, we know. And this ''knowing happiness'' means that we don't identify with it as being ours. And likewise with dissatisfaction and unhappiness, we don't identify with them as being ours. When we no longer identify with and cling to happiness and suffering, we are simply left with the natural way of things.

Ajahn Chah

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Living_With_Cobra1.php
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
pegembara

Postby Hanzze » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:03 am

The Heart Its Own Teacher

Each of us here is the same. We're no different from one another. We have no teacher at present — for if you're going to awaken to the Dhamma, the heart has to teach itself. If it doesn't teach itself, then no matter how much you have other people teach you, it won't listen, it won't understand. The heart itself has to be the teacher.

It's not easy for us to see ourselves. It's hard. So think about this a little bit. We've all done evil. Now that we're old, we should stop. Make it lighter. Make it less. There's really nothing else. This is all there is. Turn your minds in the direction of virtue.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Return to General Theravāda discussion