Eternal Citta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Eternal Citta

Postby Tom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 am

I've seen Ajahn Mun criticized for supposedly holding a view of citta as eternal. (whether or not this is true, I don't know). Are Ajahn Chah or any of his disciples also criticized for supposedly sharing this view? Also, is there anyone in the Ajahn Chah lineage that has a strong scholarly background in Buddhist teachings?
Last edited by Tom on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

Re: Eternal Citta

Postby Hanzze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 am

Where did you hear that and how exactly does a "incorrect view of citta as eternal" look like? Are there also "correct views of citta as eternal"?
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Postby Kamran » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:11 am

"Read yourself, not books." - Ajaan Chah

The Dhamma can't be learned from reading books. It has to be seen through meditation.

Its like an apple. The only way to know what an apple tastes like is by eating one.

Reading books about apples wont help you :)
When this concentration is thus developed, thus well developed by you, then wherever you go, you will go in comfort. Wherever you stand, you will stand in comfort. Wherever you sit, you will sit in comfort. Wherever you lie down, you will lie down in comfort.
Kamran

Postby DAWN » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 am

This 'Eternal Citta' is not-thought, not- created, not-penetrated, not-discribed, is pure, is enlighted, is the base of all, this Eternal Citta is the nature of all Dhamma, like a 0 is nature of all number.

When Ajhan Mun or others teachers say the word MIND, they dont mean the ordinary mind, they mean the nature of mind. So is not the Citta that eternal, but the Nature of Citta is eternal. Why it's eternal? Becase it's not-created. Like a canvas that not-painted, like a ground that not-build, like a silience that not-told...

In the sentence 'Eternal Citta', that is MOST important, is not 'Citta', but 'Eternal'. Ajhan Mun discribe that is Eternal but your mind associate on it the concept of Citta. Be careful.
If i will discribe Eternal Chair, or Eternal Table or Eternal Spoon, the discription of it will be the same that the 'Eternal Citta', why? Because 'Eternal'.
Eternity is Infinity, in all directions (space, time etc), there is can not be TWO Eternity. So by discribing a Eternal Spoon i will discribe the Eternal Citta at the same moment. Why? Because in this sentence, 'Eternal' is the quality, nature of statement. And Citta is the noun, is the atta, is the concept, mental form etc. Atta, form, concept must be rejecter, and you must hold only the quality, only the nature, only the Heart of one fenomena.

When you will see dhammas by they nature, see their kamma, and not by they name-and-form, you will see that Eternal Spoon is the heart of all buddhist practice and that Eternal Spoon is a right view, it not any dhamma but The Dhamma.

Just keep practice :meditate: Try to find this Eternal, Pure, Clear, Not-conditioned Spoon in your mind.
Metta
Last edited by DAWN on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DAWN

Postby manas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:19 am

Hi charles,

be careful with hearsay! I would recommend you read the biography of Ajahn Mun in full, and find out for yourself, rather than go by the word of another.

:anjali:
manas

Postby Hanzze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:20 am

Seems to be an apple eater topic. Be careful that that you belly will not hurt.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Hanzze

Return to General Theravāda discussion