Jataka tales

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Jataka tales

Postby DAWN » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

Hello all,

I would like to ask you, if there is one book with whool 547 Jataka tales?
Because i sirch in amazon, and for "The Jataka: Stories of Buddha's Former Birth" by E.B. Cowell, the commentaries said that its not a whool collection, that amazon tell us that in this book have 2000 pages, but in reality there is only 500 with 300 Jatakas...

So i dont know if i must belief, if it's truely whool collection, or not, if there is any whool collection etc :thinking:

Thanks you a lot!
:namaste:
Sabbe dhamma anatta
We are not concurents...
I'am sorry for my english
DAWN

Re: Jataka tales

Postby BlueLotus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I think there is. Not sure online.

are there 550 tales right?
BlueLotus

Re: Jataka tales

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:13 pm

I am not sure if there is one book, but The PTS does have a translated collection which may be more than one book?
the amount of Jataka stories are not known exactly (to my knowledge) the amount in the canonical book can be known, but there are others in other books and the canonical jatakas of the Chinese canon do have some differences in content.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion