Goenka or other technique?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Goenka or other technique?

Postby steve19800 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:12 pm

Hello guys,

There is a video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9v8yHOM3r4

At 16:42 Goenka asked the difference between his method and Thich Nhat Hanh's. Although he seems to be refusing in comparing but I think he says the other method can be mindful of others, even your own body which is still related to one's own misery while we want to get out from the misery?

Is that what he says?
Vipassana which means insight is about observing the rising and falling of phenomena, so how would this differ in terms of their instrinsic nature? Can anyone share some of your thoughts? If you have participated in those retreats, thoughts are most welcome. Thanks.
steve19800

Re: Goenka or other technique?

Postby knighter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Hello there

Its really hard to discuss vipassana as each persons meditation differs from the next, I've completed a few 10 courses and would suggest picking a path staying with it and give 100% effort and seeing if your life changes for the better with that practise.
you'll know when you find the right path for you as the questions become less.
Be happy
knighter
knighter

Re: Goenka or other technique?

Postby Sekha » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Goenka's answer seems to imply that Thich Nhat Hanh's mindfulness is directed either outward or to the external characteristics of the body, but that his own technique uses a mindfulness directed inward, because that is where the misery is: inside, and we have to come out of it.

I don't know much about Thich Nhat Hanh's teaching but he seems to teach anapanassati using that very term, so I don't know to which extent Goenka's answer was accurate, but he nevertheless gives his criterion for approval: it depends on which use is made of that mindfulness once developed: is it directed inward on subtle reality or only outward on gross reality?
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org
Sekha

Return to General Theravāda discussion