Buddhist Tisarana?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
steve19800

Buddhist Tisarana?

Post by steve19800 »

Hello guys,

Tisarana is prerequisite to become a Buddhist. However, as far as I am aware Trisarana in Tibetan Buddhism, at least from what I experienced, slightly different from other tradition i.e. was asked to cut a little bit of finger nail and hair, do the ritual and chanting in Tibetan. Does this signify something and if this has connection with early Tibetan Buddhism history i.e. Bon or other animism element? We know finger nail and hair contain DNA, if that makes any sense. Is this how we become the 'chosen one' to be an incarnated spiritual leader? As many people say as a 'shortcut' to the enlightenment?

Some people feel the feeling of closeness to the lama and the feeling of like a family after this Tisarana ceremony. There is a sense of devotion to him while in reality the relationship between student and lama/rinpoche is just say 1 week old.

There is also a feeling of losing interest in worldly activities which I doubt come naturally. From Buddhist point of view particularly Theravada, how do you view this? And if we can 'undo' this? Cause some people don't like being 'bind' and have no choice just because they have given you their date of birth or photo for example. How is this nail and hair thing relevant to Buddhism? It is not hard to hear people say this is a symbol of this and symbol of that. In fact, everything in life is a symbol too. I may not feel like I want to sleep at night but it is also a symbol of endurance for example and a forbidden relationship between a man and a woman is a symbol of their strong commitment from past lives for example. But what is really the real meaning behind that?

I've been wondering around to get some answers. Please if you know anything or would like to share don't be hesitate. Monks or nuns also feel free to comment, more than welcome.

Thanks a lot!
Ben

Re: Buddhist Tisarana?

Post by Ben »

Hi Steve,

Perhaps if you ask over at our sister site: http://www.dharmawheel.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (vajrayana and mahayana buddhist discussion forum) you might get the answer from experienced practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism.
From my perspective taking refuge is excellent but for it to really mean anything you need to follow it up by actually walking on the eightfold path.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
steve19800

Re: Buddhist Tisarana?

Post by steve19800 »

Ben wrote:Hi Steve,

Perhaps if you ask over at our sister site: http://www.dharmawheel.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (vajrayana and mahayana buddhist discussion forum) you might get the answer from experienced practitioners of Tibetan Buddhism.
From my perspective taking refuge is excellent but for it to really mean anything you need to follow it up by actually walking on the eightfold path.
kind regards,

Ben
Greetings Ben,

Thanks for your reply.
I've posted there some time ago but it seems not many people quite into this nail and head hair thing. Have not got question answered. So I ask the 'elder teaching' and see if there are some practitioners may want to share their perspective :D