[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Dhamma Wheel • View topic - Application of Dependent Origination

Application of Dependent Origination

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Application of Dependent Origination

Postby SarathW » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:39 am

The way I understand is that Dependent Origination is applicable to the whole world except Arahants. This include human, animal, plants, cells, Devas, Demans and any animate or inanimate thing.
What are your thoughts?

For the benefit of the beginner, The Dependent Origination is the 2nd Noble Truth. Please see the link below

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prat%C4%AB ... tp%C4%81da
SarathW

Re: Application of Dependent Origination

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 am

Greetings Sarath,

SarathW wrote:The way I understand is that Dependent Origination is applicable to the whole world except Arahants. This include human, animal, plants, cells, Devas, Demans and any animate or inanimate thing.
What are your thoughts?

I agree it doesn't apply to arahants, as how can it apply to anything that does not experience samsaric existence?

Therefore inanimate things are totally out of scope. On what basis did you understand they were in?

Be careful not to conflate dependent origination with other concepts such as "interbeing".

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby ground » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 am

SarathW wrote:The way I understand is that Dependent Origination is applicable to the whole world except Arahants.

Which includes conception of arahants, the dhamma and dependent origination itself too.

SarathW wrote:What are your thoughts?

Dependently originated. :sage:
ground

Postby SarathW » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:03 am

:clap:
SarathW

Return to General Theravāda discussion