We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan

We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

Post by alan »

I'm astonished to see any argument otherwise. Where would we be without them?
You don't have to revere them, but if you are a Buddhist, everything you know, or think you know, comes from the original teachings. We can argue about points, we can disagree about how best to practice. But we all owe a debt of gratitude to the Buddha for teaching. Where best to find that? In the suttas, of course. They are the best representation of his teachings, and you should read them.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: We know about the Dhamma because of the suttas.

Post by DNS »

So true!

The Buddha attained enlightenment not just as an arahant, but as a samma-sam-buddha, who rediscovers the Dhamma. There is no need for each of us to reinvent the wheel, we have the guidelines and the map already lined out; it is up to us to follow the path as described in this guide. For example, there are some who say that Suttas / scripture is not important, that it is all allegory and meditation practice is all you need to discover the truth through your own "intuitions." If everyone had to start from scratch with no guideline whatsoever, there would be as many different versions of Buddhism as there are Buddhists. And no one would know which one is correct and which one is just another deluded person / path.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I agree, buddhism would be effectively nothing without the suttas. Even though there seems to be some interpolation in the suttas according to scholars, I think that they are damn good proof of a historical Gotama now known as the buddha who taught the 8 fold path, 4 noble truths, dependent origination, etc.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

alan wrote:I'm astonished to see any argument otherwise. Where would we be without them?
You don't have to revere them, but if you are a Buddhist, everything you know, or think you know, comes from the original teachings. We can argue about points, we can disagree about how best to practice. But we all owe a debt of gratitude to the Buddha for teaching. Where best to find that? In the suttas, of course. They are the best representation of his teachings, and you should read them.
Amen! Oh wait, Sadhu! The more I read the suttas, the more I realize just how timeless the Dhamma is...the Buddha once said, "One who sees the Dhamma sees me. One who sees me sees the Dhamma." :anjali:
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I think we have a false premise, Is this what your saying "What we know about what is "in" the suttas is "in" the suttas"?

To me "owe a debt of gratitude" is rather an odd idium. I can relate to it on a personal leval but wouldn't want to impose it on to others.

I see the Buddha and Suttas as a starting point and souce (of this dispensation) but not the end. The dhamma is something that moves through time with the Sangha; contemporary teachers and scholars are what make it accessible.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mr Man wrote:I see the Buddha and Suttas as a starting point and souce (of this dispensation) but not the end. The dhamma is something that moves through time with the Sangha; contemporary teachers and scholars are what make it accessible.
Though contemporary expressions are just as much a product of time and place as were the many previous expressions through history. So it all gets very subjective, and the suttas are a useful reference.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

David N. Snyder wrote:For example, there are some who say that Suttas / scripture is not important, that it is all allegory and meditation practice is all you need to discover the truth through your own "intuitions."
I agree. I don't see this as a reliable approach atall because the taints and self-view are very deeply ingrained and it's easy to delude ourselves.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

alan wrote:We all owe a debt of gratitude to the Buddha for teaching.
Where in the suttas did the Buddha teach that we all (I presume you mean Buddhists?) owe him a debt of gratitude for anything?
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

danieLion wrote:
Where in the suttas did the Buddha teach that we all (I presume you mean Buddhists?) owe him a debt of gratitude for anything?
DanieLion, why can't you agree on anything? :tongue:
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Some of what the Buddha alluded to about Gratitude to himself is mentioned here:

The Lessons of Gratitude
At the same time, the example of your behavior and freedom of mind is a gift to others, in that it shows how they, too, can free themselves from their debts. This is why the Buddha said that only those who have attained full awakening eat the alms food of the country without incurring debt. They've even paid off their debt to the Buddha for having taught the way to release. As he said, the only homage he requested was that people practice the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma — i.e., to develop the disenchantment and dispassion that lead to release (DN 16; SN 22.39-42) — so that the world will not be empty of awakened people. In this way, attaining full release is not a selfish act; instead, it's the highest expression of kindness and gratitude.

Of course, it's a rare person who will take this route to freedom, but that doesn't lessen its value or relevance. As with gratitude and benefaction, it's an opportunity to become rare and distinctive that's open to anyone with the discernment to appreciate it and the determination to become truly kind and debt-free
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... itude.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Mr Man wrote:I think we have a false premise, Is this what your saying "What we know about what is "in" the suttas is "in" the suttas"?

To me "owe a debt of gratitude" is rather an odd idium. I can relate to it on a personal leval but wouldn't want to impose it on to others.

I see the Buddha and Suttas as a starting point and souce (of this dispensation) but not the end. The dhamma is something that moves through time with the Sangha; contemporary teachers and scholars are what make it accessible.

"The Buddha foresaw that people would introduce what he called “synthetic Dhamma”—and when that happened, he said, the true Dhamma would
disappear (SN 16:13).

He compared the process to what happens when a wooden drum develops a crack, into which a peg is inserted, and then another crack, into which another peg is inserted, and so on until nothing is left of the original drum-body. All that remains is a mass of pegs, which cannot come near to producing the sound of the original drum (SN 20:7)."
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Kusala wrote:
Mr Man wrote:I think we have a false premise, Is this what your saying "What we know about what is "in" the suttas is "in" the suttas"?

"The Buddha foresaw that people would introduce what he called “synthetic Dhamma”—and when that happened, he said, the true Dhamma would

He compared the process to what happens when a wooden drum develops a crack, into which a peg is inserted, and then another crack, into which another peg is inserted, and so on until nothing is left of the original drum-body. All that remains is a mass of pegs, which cannot come near to producing the sound of the original drum (SN 20:7)."

Hi Kusala, I'm not exactly sure what your point is here. Or the conection between your post and what you have highlighted from my post. I'm also if your post is a quote or your own words.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Mr Man wrote:
Kusala wrote:

Hi Kusala, I'm not exactly sure what your point is here. Or the conection between your post and what you have highlighted from my post. I'm also if your post is a quote or your own words.
Hey Mr. Man, I'm of the opinion that man has a tendency to corrupt things and the Dhamma is no exception. The suttas are the closet thing to the Buddha and Dhamma.

alan

Post by alan »

I'm sorry, Mr. Man, but I don't get what you are trying to say. Since it appears English is not your first language, maybe in the future you'll take more time thinking about how best to express your opinions.
For instance, you would be well advised to research the idea of "false premise".
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
danieLion wrote:
DanieLion, why can't you agree on anything? :tongue:
:rofl:
I ask my selves that all the time.