What is the taint of being?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Spiny Norman

What is the taint of being?

Post by Spiny Norman »

In MN9 ( see extract below ) the taints are desribed as sensual desire, being and ignorance. But what is the taint of being?

"And what are the taints, what is the origin of the taints, what is the cessation of the taints, what is the way leading to the cessation of the taints? There are three taints: the taint of sensual desire, the taint of being and the taint of ignorance. With the arising of ignorance there is the arising of the taints. With the cessation of ignorance there is the cessation of the taints."
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Nyana

Re: What is the taint of being?

Post by Nyana »

porpoise wrote:In MN9 ( see extract below ) the taints are desribed as sensual desire, being and ignorance. But what is the taint of being?
It's referring to the āsava of existence (bhavāsava). It's related to craving existence (bhavataṇhā). IIRC the commentaries correlate it with passion for existence in the form realms (i.e. rūparāga), but I'd have to look that up to be sure.
Spiny Norman

Re: What is the taint of being?

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ñāṇa wrote:
porpoise wrote:In MN9 ( see extract below ) the taints are desribed as sensual desire, being and ignorance. But what is the taint of being?
It's referring to the āsava of existence (bhavāsava). It's related to craving existence (bhavataṇhā). IIRC the commentaries correlate it with passion for existence in the form realms (i.e. rūparāga), but I'd have to look that up to be sure.
Yes, thanks. I was trying to work out what craving existence means in practice - is it analogous to what we'd call "survival instinct"?
Buddha save me from new-agers!