Visiting Vulture's Peak

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammanando

Visiting Vulture's Peak

Post by Dhammanando »

Hello all,

A Thai monk has asked me to find out in which months the Vulture's Peak (Gijjhakūṭa, Skt. Gṛdrakūta) at Rajgir is "open". I told him that as far as I know it's always open, but the monk (who has visited it four times) insists that it's closed during certain months of the year. He wishes to know because his aunt is travelling there this year and is particularly anxious to see the Vulture's Peak. I've checked a few tourist sites and pilgrims' accounts via Google and haven't found anything that would contradict my own view. Does anyone here know anything about this matter?
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
cooran

Re: Visiting Vulture's Peak

Post by cooran »

Dear Ajahn,

I have been to Vulture's Peak four or five times in Feb/Mar and in October - no closure.

May I suggest that you contact Shantum Seth? I have never been on tour with him, but have seen him most times I have been in India, leading tours at the same time. He would know if there were any time restrictions at Vulture's Peak:

http://www.buddhapath.com/Shantum%20Seth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta and respect,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Thanks, Christine. I've forwarded my query to Shantum.

:popcorn:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

I got a reply. It would appear that the cable cars up to Vulture Peak are closed every Thursday, but the mountain itself stays open for visitors all the year round.

:redherring:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vulture Peak is great. Sariputta attained enlightenment there. The Buddha gave so many discourses there. And the First Council was held not too far from there at Rajagaha (Rajgir).

I was there in August (2006) -- very hot and humid! Most Buddhists climb to the top with the stairs and from what I have heard most non-Buddhists take the cable cars.
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Dhammanando wrote:I got a reply. It would appear that the cable cars up to Vulture Peak are closed every Thursday, but the mountain itself stays open for visitors all the year round.

:redherring:
The foot-path to the top is pleasant enough. And even if the cable-car is closed a litter can be hired for a small price.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves