The possibility of Jhana and enlightenment

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: The possibility of Jhana and enlightenment

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 am

perkele wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:But my point was in agreeing with what you said, the claim that the Jhanas can not be mastered... any-more falls flat on its face when there is this wealth of experience of people who (may have different opinions about how strong it is...) do still reach and master the factors which make Jhana Jhana at each level.

Ah, I see. So the answer to this question
perkele wrote:Or have I missed the point and you meant the opposite of what I interpreted?

is yes.

Thanks for clearing it up. I misunderstood you completely. But I think you also expressed yourself a bit vaguely in your original post. :tongue:

Either way it is good.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: The possibility of Jhana and enlightenment

Postby marc108 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 pm

LonesomeYogurt wrote:just today I read in another discussion here someone claiming that the higher Jhanas (above the first) were no longer available either.

thats just silly! Jhanas are a natural state of mind, their availability does not disappear. I can give a handful of teachers, just off the top of my head, who teach all 4 Jhanas from experience.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
marc108

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion