Agarwood Oil (Oud) and Buddha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Agarwood Oil (Oud) and Buddha

Postby Videolife » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Hello all,

I was unsure of where to create this thread, so I picked General. I'm hopeful this is the correct forum for this inquiry.

What I want to know is if it's possible to trace an exact quote (supposedly) made by Buddha? I've had no luck finding the quote anywhere, but thought that it may be an obscure one, found in an obscure book, that someone on here may have come across at some point in time. It may just be a made-up quote also, but so far, I don't really know.

The quote came from someone I would consider a biased source, and what they claim is that Buddha described the smell of Oud (or, again, agarwood oil) as the smell of nirvana - in other words, Oud is what Nirvana smells like. They even went so far as to say that it was Krishna's favorite fragrance.

So...is there any way to know for sure if any of these statements are true? I can't find any information via Google, so figured I'd ask you guys. Any help, and all comments and opinions are completely welcome.

Thanks.
Videolife

Re: Agarwood Oil (Oud) and Buddha

Postby daverupa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Mona di Orio wrote about that oil in those terms, going so far as to say, "I was fascinated to see how all religions have adopted it as an 'olfactory sign of the divine manifestation'."

source

Simple hyperbole, I expect. Chances are good the quote about Krishna, and thereby pseudo-Buddha, comes to us via Ayurveda.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Re: Agarwood Oil (Oud) and Buddha

Postby Videolife » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 pm

You're probably right. And yea', that's where I got it from. I thought maybe if not word for word, it was probably paraphrased. It's just that the way it was phrased - "Buddha described it the smell of Nirvana", it seemed very definitive and a quote of which, to me, didn't seem an easy one to conclude as being highly exaggerated. Though, of course, it is a possibility.
Videolife

Return to General Theravāda discussion