A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

What is Sammaditthi (right view)?

Post by SarathW »

The way I understand is that there are two type of views:
1) Sammaditthi
2) Mityaditthi

Then I have read another two types:
1)Lokiya Smmaditthi (mundane right view)
2)Lokuttara Smmaditthi (supermundane right view)
--------
I have read the following link in regard to Sammaditthi Sutta.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Mundane Right View : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... html#fnt-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Great 40 : http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------
Then I also read the following from Bikkhu Pesala:
Right view is of two kinds: mundane and supramundane. Mundane right view means belief in kamma; or the belief that as we sow, so shall we reap. This right view is found in all religions. An educated Buddhist will also believe in the tenfold mundane right view as follows: 1) there is a benefit in giving alms, 2) there is a benefit of grand offerings, 3) there is a benefit of trivial gifts, 4) there is a result of good and evil deeds, 5) there is special significance of deeds done to one’s mother, 6) there is special significance of deeds done to one’s father, 7) there are spontaneously arisen beings such as deities, ghosts, and brahmas, 8) there is this human world, 9) there are other worlds, such as heaven and hell, 10) there are some people who, by the power of concentration, can see beings reborn in other worlds.
Supramundane right view means right understanding of the four noble truths, which includes the realisation of nibbāna, eradication of self-view or ego, attaining permanent stability in morality and unshakeable confidence in the Triple Gem.

http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/Kamma/kamma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-------------
The way I understand is that Samma Ditthi is inherently linked with Four Noble Truths, whether it is mundane or supermundane.
Any thoughts?
Last edited by SarathW on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ground

Re: What is Sammaditthi (right view)?

Post by ground »

What is Sammaditthi (right view)?
see MN9 Sammaditthi Sutta: Right View . :sage:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have read it and still are asking then I am at a loss since I feel that you are requesting others to fabricate the own private ideas.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Ground
Thanks. May be I did not make myself clear. :)
I need some information (Sutta reference) for Mundane and Supermundane right view.
I found the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammaditthi_Sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this how you understand it?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:I need some information (Sutta reference) for Mundane and Supermundane right view.
MN 117.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Awakening

Post by Awakening »

Essentially, the difference between the mundane and supramundane view is the difference between knowing through inference and/or belief and knowing through direct discernment.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks retro I found it. :)

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 14&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ground

Post by ground »

SarathW wrote:Hi Ground
Thanks. May be I did not make myself clear. :)
I need some information (Sutta reference) for Mundane and Supermundane right view.
I found the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammaditthi_Sutta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this how you understand it?
As to mundane:
What can be understood and expressed by means of words can be found in MN9. MN9 expresses that there are several right views
"Would there be another line of reasoning by which a disciple of the noble ones is a person of right view...
or
"But, friend, might there be another way in which a noble disciple is one of right view
Since there are several right views, none being better or "righter" but all of them called "right view", the right view established depends on the one who views. And since they have in common that they can be expressed by means of words evoking meaning in a listener or reader they are called mundane.

:sage:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Ground
I am not trying to split hair here. :)
But can someone have only one right view but not the other or any combinations.
OR
Does it assume, that if a person understand one he naturally understand the rest automatically.
ground

Post by ground »

SarathW wrote:But can someone have only one right view but not the other or any combinations.
Of course since "the right view established depends on the one who views" which means that it depends on the persons capacity.
E.g. one may have right view of "The Wholesome and the Unwholesome" only. It is still called right view. it is not lacking something that might render it "less right".
Or one may have right view of "Dependent origination" only. If so there will be natural abstension from the unwholesome without necessarily
conceptually cultivating ("having") right view of "The Wholesome and the Unwholesome".
SarathW wrote: Does it assume, that if a person understand one he naturally understand the rest automatically.
One that does have right view of "The Wholesome and the Unwholesome" does not necessarily have an understanding of dependent origination. And one that does have right view of "Dependent origination" does not necessarily have an understanding of "The Wholesome and the Unwholesome" althought conduct will comply with right view of "The Wholesome and the Unwholesome". However if being asked "What is wholesome and what is unwholesome?" the one who has right view of dependent origination will naturally be able to say what is wholesome and what is unwholesome. :sage:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Ground
Thanks.
Bikkhu Pesal also wrote as follows:
Christians generally believe that God created the world and living beings, but they also believe that they will reap as they sow, so their view is partly right.
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/Reb ... birth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this is how I understand this now:
Every living being in this world have some form of wrong view unless the person is an Arahant. Even an Angami person will have some wrong views, as he is not an Arahant. Even though Samma Ditthi is the first important aspect of the beginning of the path, it will be totally eliminated only when a person become an Arahant.
Is this how you see it?
ground

Post by ground »

SarathW wrote:... but they also believe that they will reap as they sow, so their view is partly right.
http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Pesala/Reb ... birth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But that is not stated this way in MN9. There it reads "the root of the (un-)wholesome" which is open for interpretation. Also either there is right view or not. There is no "partly right" view. There are just variants of right view according to MN9. :sage:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

On Wrong View:

Micchatta Sutta: Wrongness. AN 10.103. Thanissaro Tr.
"From wrongness comes failure, not success. And how is it, monks, that from wrongness comes failure, not success?

"In a person of wrong view, wrong resolve comes into being. In a person of wrong resolve, wrong speech. In a person of wrong speech, wrong action. In a person of wrong action, wrong livelihood. In a person of wrong livelihood, wrong effort. In a person of wrong effort, wrong mindfulness. In a person of wrong mindfulness, wrong concentration. In a person of wrong concentration, wrong knowledge. In a person of wrong knowledge, wrong release.

"This is how from wrongness comes failure, not success.

"From rightness comes success, not failure. And how is it, monks, that from rightness comes success, not failure?

"In a person of right view, right resolve comes into being. In a person of right resolve, right speech. In a person of right speech, right action. In a person of right action, right livelihood. In a person of right livelihood, right effort. In a person of right effort, right mindfulness. In a person of right mindfulness, right concentration. In a person of right concentration, right knowledge. In a person of right knowledge, right release. [1]

"This is how from rightness comes success, not failure."
And:

Bija Sutta: The Seed. AN 10.104 Thanissaro Tr.
"When a person has wrong view, wrong resolve, wrong speech, wrong action, wrong livelihood, wrong effort, wrong mindfulness, wrong concentration, wrong knowledge, & wrong release, whatever bodily deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever verbal deeds... whatever mental deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever intentions, whatever determinations, whatever vows, whatever fabrications, all lead to what is disagreeable, unpleasing, unappealing, unprofitable, & stressful. Why is that? Because the view is evil.

"Just as when a nimb-tree seed, a bitter creeper seed, or a bitter melon seed is placed in moist soil, whatever nutriment it takes from the soil & the water, all conduces to its bitterness, acridity, & distastefulness. Why is that? Because the seed is evil. In the same way, when a person has wrong view... wrong release, whatever bodily deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever verbal deeds... whatever mental deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever intentions, whatever determinations, whatever vows, whatever fabrications, all lead to what is disagreeable, unpleasing, unappealing, unprofitable, & stressful. Why is that? Because the view is evil.

"When a person has right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration, right knowledge, & right release, whatever bodily deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever verbal deeds... whatever mental deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever intentions, whatever vows, whatever determinations, whatever fabrications, all lead to what is agreeable, pleasing, charming, profitable, & easeful. Why is that? Because the view is auspicious.

"Just as when a sugar cane seed, a rice grain, or a grape seed is placed in moist soil, whatever nutriment it takes from the soil & the water, all conduces to its sweetness, tastiness, & unalloyed delectability. Why is that? Because the seed is auspicious. In the same way, when a person has right view... right release, whatever bodily deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever verbal deeds... whatever mental deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever intentions, whatever vows, whatever determinations, whatever fabrications, all lead to what is agreeable, pleasing, charming, profitable, & easeful. Why is that? Because the view is auspicious."
Does this square with Paul Fuller's thesis in The Notion of Diṭṭhi in Theravāda Buddhism: The Point of View that Right View as the first part of the Noble Eightfold Path leads ultimately not to the holding of correct views, but to a detached form of cognition?